PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
If you are a back-packer you most likely have several ways to prepare this that would gag a maggot, as opposed to the package instructions that merely causes vultures to up chuck. My personal favorite is the tried and true ramen, spam and instant potatoes. Yours? ☢

• Sad
Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
During my natural ramen noodle years I managed to wangle home cooking, dorm meal tickets, Navy mess food, and campus-town food in grad school, and after that I was on my own until I married and had a kitchen. To see me, you'd have thought I lived on a meal a day, maybe ramen noodles, but I always ate three. I thought it was because my brain burned all the calories, but there's little proof of that.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
During the perpetual field exercises as an infantry soldier, ramen was often much more palatable than yet another MRE. Squeezing the ramen packets into the rucksack between dirty socks and ammunition left little room for additives or embellishments, so it was often enjoyed as it came. There was usually the ever present Tabasco bottle, however.

Nowadays, ramen is that roughly once per month mid day meal when the wife is gone and I'm feeling especially lazy. Adding a few drops of olive oil and a handful of frozen shrimpies usually suffices. Bonus points if I can find a spring onion to chop and garnish.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Three options:

Boil, drain, stir in seasoning, top with favorite hot sauce.

Or:

Boil, drain, stir in seasoning, stir a can of cream of mushroom soup, stir in a can of peas, stir in a pouch of tuna, top with favorite hot sauce.

Or:

Toss unopened packet in trash and make something edible instead.

Jun 27, 2016
Eventually I stopped bothering to cook that stuff, just gnawed chunks off of the brick, or would crunch it up in the bag & eat it like popcorn. It was pretty good that way.

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Alright, I'd like to see the recipe, if you don't mind.

LMAO 2 cups water, one pack noodles with seasoning pack (the absolute cheapest you can buy), 1 cup instant mashed potatoes (again the cheapest you can find or a box that is being prepared to trash from excessive age) and one can spam. Any kind, flavor or quality. Tabasco is the gourmand ultimate, but the tiny glass bottle adds weight when hiking. One, singular, dried and handled with extreme care and caution Trinidad Scorpion pepper or it's relatives can add spice and heat to anything you eat or touch. (Including the touching of sensitive portions of your anatomy). One tiny pinch. (You are going to use too much the first time no matter what I say.) Boil water, dump seasonings in and crushed noodles and let it sit, boil or simmer for two minutes or one hour depending on your mood. Carefully cut can of spam into 1/2 inch cubes or dump it in with noodles and just smush it with a spoon, fork or handy stick. Then add instant potatoes to soak up any juice that is left until it resembles wall paste. Bon appetite.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
There was once a mod here who was sadistic was immune to capsaicin. I asked for some hot pepper recipes and he supplied them cheerfully and almost killed me.

Edit: I miss ya Lawrence.

Last edited:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Actually this is something my 13 year old son would love to try. He's on a hot wing kick at the moment and the atomic wings at the local bar/restaurant are his latest conquest. I'll grab some ghost peppers, etc at the grocery store and set him up. Thanks for the idea.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
In college made ramen with a can of Blatz instead of water. I was pretty dumb in college mixed with being poor.

Now that I'm older and less dumb (maybe) and less poor I make ramen slow cooked with some fatty pork and use Cavender's Greek Seasoning instead of the ramen seasoning pack.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
The trick is not getting the cheapo ramen. Instant ramen in Japan is a whole nother beast, if you're in a big city you can find some more exclusive brands in any asian market in the States. Look for "Myojo Chukazanmai". Really solid instant ramen.

Reactions: briarbuck

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
In prison we would make "sweet and sour pork" out of ramen noodles, slim Jim beef sticks, cherry kool aid, pork rinds, and sriracha.
Ahhhhh the good old days.

Last edited:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
875 mg of Sodium :oops:

Just sayin...

There's bag 'o Ramen, and then there's the real stuff. The real ramen broth is generally pork based and they let the bones stew for a full day until all the marrow comes out. Makes it thicker almost like a stew. Noodles, pork belly (bacon), poached egg, scallion, bamboo shoots and some ginger. So freeken good.

Status
Not open for further replies.