PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Vs and Latakia blends have their own top 5 threads, so I thought I'd start one for Burleys. Apologies if this thread already exists.
My list:
1. Uhle's Blend #00

2. John Patton's Storm Front

3. Wessex Burley Slice (so long as its aged at least a year)

4. Classic Burely Kake

5. (tie) Uhle's Perfection Plug & Sterling's Double Eagle
I have *not* had the famous Aged Burley Slice from Soloni (in case Burley aficionados are wondering about its absence from the list).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This will be a really interesting thread to read. I don't dabble in Burleys enough to offer any suggestions, but I'm eager

to find out what everybody thinks. I could mention a few blends that I have enjoyed, like H&H's L.J. Heart Burley; Mac Baren's Norwood, Golden Extra and Burley London Blend; and C&D's Burley Flake #3 and Haunted Bookshop, but my experience isn't broad enough to compare or rank any blends, much less recognize any of them as outstanding.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This might be a little ordinaire for what you have in mind, but Lane's Burley Without Bit is both pleasant on its

own and a good tobacco to mix with Va, Cavendish, etc.

Jul 12, 2011
I don't smoke enough of this type blend..so what I have smoked and liked;
1. Solani's ABF

2. H&H Classic Burley Kake

3. Butternut Burley

4. L.J. Peretti's Blend No.333 ( watch out for the deer tongue, some really don't like it )

5. Open for~ Wessex's Burley Slice ( I have not had a chance to sample this one just yet )

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great list. I think Aged Burley Flake is a totally different animal from most burleys, but I love it (thanks again for the sample, misterlowercase). Even if you're not a regular burley smoker, you might really like it.
In my opinion, the best burley -- one with quintessential burley flavor -- is C&D Burley Flake #2. It's a combination of light and dark burleys, with just a smidge of VA for a bit of sweetness. It has a very clean, smooth burley flavor with no rough edges, yet the natural flavor of the leaf really shines. The flakes are very loosely packed and break apart easily, so for a flake it's very much a no-fuss smoke. I've smoked a fair amount of burleys and this tops my list.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
In no particular order after my #1 which is Five Brothers -
Uhle's 00

Prince Albert

C&D Big and Burley

Butternut Burley (a great mixer to sweeten up other Burley and some Virginia blends).
Pipestud

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
If some of these are not considered strictly burleys, then I apologize.
Peterson's university flake and perfect plug - these are top shelf.

Solani aged burley flake - nutty and strong, I need a nap after this.

+1 for c and d burley #2 - needs to age or no can do, otherwise too green. After some time this is a fine smoke, more complex than most burleys I feel.

Uhle's crushed white burley - has a very old time tobacco shop feel.

Macbaren burley London blend - I like the chocolate and cedar notes.
I would add Wessex burley slice, but I have only smoked one tin of this, I have some in the cellar. I seem to recall a subtle barbecue flavor, very intriguing.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's interesting, sallow, about C&D BF #2. My tin is from June of this year (if I'm reading the date code right) and it is smooth as butter. Of course, this is compared to Haunted Bookshop and Five Bros.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
That's interesting, sallow, about C&D BF #2. My tin is from June of this year (if I'm reading the date code right) and it is smooth as butter.
I don't mean to put anyone off from trying this blend, it is a fine smoke with some nice strength and I do enjoy it.
The first bowls I tried of this blend were from an early tin, I think it came out initially in 2009 maybe? The smokes I had from that batch were really green (it almost seemed uncured, like the G&H ropes) so I haven't opened a new tin of this since without letting it sit a bit first. Subsequently I had a tin that was about a year old and did not have any problems, the wait was worth it in my opinion. I have a tin in the cellar about six months old so maybe I won't be afraid to open it on your recommendation.
I also have had Flake #4 (with latakia) and found it to be very unique, found it to be more english-like than burley, but a nice change from traditional virginia forward english blends.
Once again, I feel the C&D burley flakes I have tried to be top notch, and would not hesitate to recommend them to a burley lover.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
In no particular order:
MacBaren Burley London

IRC Private Blend

H&H Beverwyck (A burley based Lat blend)

H&H Old Companion

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Interesting to see such consensus with the burleys. Off the top of my head:

Burley London Blend is my genre-defining smoke, bar none

Solani ABF

Klassic Burley Kake

Half & Half

C&D's bulk white burley, my favorite home blending ingredient

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Looks like I will have to pick up a tin of London Burley. It gets a lot of love around here.
Also, I read on that review site that Butternut Burley has changed somewhat (This is according to just a few recent reviews). Any truth to this?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
C&D's bulk white burley, my favorite home blending ingredient
I use that quite a bit, too. What is it you use it for?
I usually mix it with a bit of honey water, gently steam for an hour or two and then leave it for a couple of weeks. Wonderful, fragrant burley.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Butternut Burley is good when I have a sweet tooth

C&D Epiphany is very burley heavy, but does contain some Latakia

Status
Not open for further replies.