PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerdaz

Lurker
Oct 17, 2019
Nothing wrong with an aromatic. Some advise against them when starting out because they tend to smoke hotter due to their higher sugar content. Warning taken, says I even as I reach for my Vauen Auenland Morning Mixture. Learning with aromatics is like learning to drive in a manual transmission: if you can drive manual you can drive auto as well—the converse is not true.
Thanks for that.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
It can be. I find that it does well in a slow cooker. Of course peeling off the skin is very important once it is tender enough.
I leave the skin on myself. Chilled, sliced 3 mm thick, on black bread with horseradish or extra spicy Estonian mustard. Can't beat it with a stick.

Reactions: seldom

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
You can also try drinking coffee with your smoke to balance out the ph in your mouth. Even though the smoke is cool, you can still get burned from a chemical reaction depending on the blend.
If you’re like me and wind up drinking too much coffee during the day at work, unflavored black tea is another good choice. Less caffeine for those concerned about such things, and the same kind of neutral palate reset. I have no financial interest in them, but Harney & Sons have some very good teas that go well with a pipe.

And don’t neglect trying straight black coffee iced. Great for staving off tongue bite and clearing the mouth.

Reactions: UncleRasta and Dusk

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would drink coffee and tea while smoking. Biotene is a must for new smokers. I am careful not to dry my tobacco too much. I have found that dry tobacco burns too hot and looses flavor. I like a bit of moisture in my tobacco as the flavors are more pronounced for me.

I use a 3-4 step packing method. I always check the draw before lighting as I want a little bit of resistance. My way works for me, others have different methods, finding your own way takes time. Pipe smoking is an art, it is not a natural thing to be smoking dried leaves in a wood pipe. Patience is something we all had to practice while we were new.

Reactions: burleyboy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Actual tongue... ??

What Harris (cigrmaster) said. I might add to stick to one packing method that seems to work better than others for you, even if it's the Frank Method. I think the mouth's muscles and other anatomical structures adapt by themselves to the new thing. Kinda like muscle memory. If you stay consistent with your packing and lighting, the mouth will 'find a way' by itself to draw from the pipe with the right, non-tongue-scorching strength. OTOH, if you're always changing things, the mouth will have a harder and longer time settling in.

At least, that's what I've found in and through my own experience. I've noticed that my drawing is no longer as conscious as it was when I started out. It just comes automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.