PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Apparently to prevent the movie from getting an "R" rating, and the fact that smoking is not an currently held Disney Co. value, it was necessary to be historically inaccurate for Tom Hanks to not smoke is his upcoming movie where he portrays Walt Disney. This is disturbing to me on a deep level. I constantly see violent films with only PG-13 status and yet smoking gets an R rating. Apparently they also forgot about there smoking characters from Walt Disney's time at the movie studio.
http://tv.yahoo.com/daytime/dint-tom-hanks-shares-historic-200442374.html

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have stopped being enamored of Tom Hanks, he lives in rairified air like the rest of The Rat Pack, and No not the Deno Pack, He supports the WWII Museum in New Orleans so maybe I should not be so critical of him, it's just sad how they turn out.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The really idiotic thing is that if they really cared about educating kids against smoking, they could have shown Walt Disney chainsmoking cigarettes and made a point of the fact he died from lung cancer.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I can't imagine the smoking would be the only reason it would have an R. The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings films were PG-13 and they have violence and smoking. Maybe it's because they are fantasy creatures.....

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I wondered about that after seeing an ad for the new movie, and looked up Walt's Wikipedia entry. According to that, Walt was always careful not to be observed smoking around children - evidently, his smoking habit was a private indulgence, suitable for adults but not his target audience.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Doesn’t bother me much they left the smoking part out, its movies after all. I have read SEVERAL things about Walt I bet they leave out of the movie. Nowthe reason they left it out being it gets them a lighter rating for audiences that is ridiculous. Smoking put on the same list as blood, guys, nudity , and extreme violence. That makes sense!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
eagle: Surely you are jesting. It's a movie, not a history lesson. Hollywood doesn't do history with any real degree of accuracy any more than television does. Movies are for entertainment and/or propagandizing. In spite of what the salaried players would like you to believe, movies are flights of fancy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Disney is such a monolithic corporation, I don't think any realistic depiction of Walt Disney could ever be done,

with or without the pipe smoking. I would recommend that people take their kids to our national parks and

do only a light dose or skip the Disney theme parks. Cultivate childrens' imaginations, not the Disney till.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I wondered about that after seeing an ad for the new movie, and looked up Walt's Wikipedia entry. According to that, Walt was always careful not to be observed smoking around children - evidently, his smoking habit was a private indulgence, suitable for adults but not his target audience.
If that were true, then Disney wouldn't have portrayed any of his characters as smoking. However, many many characters smoked in Disney's films, including Merlin smoking a pipe in "Sword in the Stone", Goofy smoking cigarettes, Pinocchio smoking a pipe, and even John and Michael (children) smoking a peace pipe in "Peter Pan".

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Can anyone buy the kid glove treatment Walt will get in this movie? I hate biopics generally because they usually try too hard to be gentle to the subject and too much artistic license gets carried out when filing in blanks and create dialogue.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Personally, I don't really care for Tom Hanks. For some reason, he annoys me.
You never go FULL RETARD man! NEVER!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
If that were true, then Disney wouldn't have portrayed any of his characters as smoking. However, many many characters smoked in Disney's films, including Merlin smoking a pipe in "Sword in the Stone", Goofy smoking cigarettes, Pinocchio smoking a pipe, and even John and Michael (children) smoking a peace pipe in "Peter Pan".
Point taken. It was a Wikipedia article, after all, so I'd need further citations to buy into it entirely. I'd also mention Roger, the lead (human) male in "101 Dalmatians", who also smoked a pipe.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
At least Mr Hanks notices that this removal of smoking in movies is bad. Maybe if more actors start to share his opinion we can bring it back on screen. Though the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films as mentioned previously do bring me hope that we can look forward to seeing pipes on screen.

Dec 24, 2012
I just saw a screener of this upcoming movie and was stunned to see the scene where Walt did lines of coke off a hooker's ass while he was dressed in a Captain Hook costume. He never lit up once though.
Ok, I am bullshitting.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Why does this not surprise me? I liked him a whole lot in Saving Private Ryan, but this does not excuse the rewriting of history. LMFAO peck

"... off a hooker's ass". Priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.