PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As a way of celebrating this most special day, I'm going to share my recipe for onion rings I stumbled upon a few years ago in a Saveur magazine.
Enjoy the day gentlemen!
p_20190622_061445-600x450.jpg

in case the ingredients are illegible:
1 3/4 cups flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

1 1/2 tbsp. Hot paprika

1 tbsp. Dry mustard

1 tbsp. Baking powder

1 tbsp. Kosher salt

2 tsp. Honey

500ml beer

Canola oil

2 large yellow onions

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pass the Zantac, I'm in. Well, maybe not, but I do love a good lightly battered onion ring, fresh.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I accidentally celebrated without knowing. Just finished a catfish sandwich and onion rings for lunch. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Onion rings are one of those specialities that can be wonderful or not, depending on the talent of the fry cook. They can be heartburn killers or airy and light perfection.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Why does everything good in this world have to be terrible for you? If there is a higher power he/she botched that shit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
alaska, actually many of the foods once proclaimed "bad" turn out to be good in the context of a balanced diet. Salt may not be good for sedentary people with high blood pressure, but for people working in the heat, salt may be important, even critical. Eggs, once cholesterol bombs, have been mostly redeemed and recommended in a balanced diet. Lard, once a total no-no, is now reconsidered as a good source of omega, in measured amounts, and so on and on. What your grandma (or grandma surrogate who may have been an aunt or grandpa, etc.) thought was healthy was likely not far wrong. So don't eat those onion rings every day, but when it's onion ring day, I think the enlightened nutritionists would say, chow down. Just make sure the fry grease is fresh and the vittles are well drained.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
alaska, actually many of the foods once proclaimed "bad" turn out to be good in the context of a balanced diet.
Yeah, you are certainly correct about this. Unfortunately for me, the moderation I am capable of in my other life's vices (such as pipe smoking and whiskey) I am NOT capable of when it comes to food. I am like a heroin addict with sober months and relapses. I can go for months at a time and lose 30 pounds, then I'll eat one slice of pizza, and a month later I'm killing hookers and I don't even remember what happened.
It's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.