PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
This morning a good friend of mine passed away in his sleep this morning due to cystic fibrosis. It came as a real shock to us all as he seemed to be doing good lately. His name was Chase. I'm not 100% sure how old he was, but he was no older then 12. For those that don't know, cystic fibrosis causes a lowered immune system, and fills the lungs with mucus, which causes lowered lung capacity. Imagine some one heavy is sitting on your chest and no matter how deep of a breath you take, you're still gasping for breath. That is what it was like for him everyday. He had less then 50% lung capacity. But despite that, he was always happy and as energetic as he could be. Even when he had to carry around an oxygen tank, he had a smile on. My family owned a Cyber Cafe, and he used to come in and we would play Call of Duty and other video games together. This is the first time I've ever had someone close to me die.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sorry to hear about your loss. Take some condolence though, in the happiness you gave him. It sucks to lose someone close.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Thank you for the kind words. That little guy sure had the hook ups. He was always going to tigers and piston games. When he was 8 the make a wish foundation granted his wish. They game him a $5,000 Best Buy gift card and took him to best buy in a limo. He got a 50 inch flat screen a Wii and a DS. Could you imagine being 8 and being given $5,000? When I was 8 I remember felt rich if I had just $5 .

Aug 1, 2012
I have had quite a few of my students pass away and it is always hard. My prayers are also with his family and you.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Sorry to hear this, Ben. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and yours.
-Jason

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
The first death you have to deal with is always unique. Remember the good times you had with your friend, and think about what you learned from him.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Just had a bowl to clear my head. I thought about dedicating it to him, but it didn't feel right given his lung issues. I thought about the good times we had, and it almost brought me to tears thinking about the times he will never have.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
So sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose someone close, especially so young.
Prayers and compassion to you and the family.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Thank you again for the kind words. I feel better today then I did last night. I don't think it has fully set it in yet. It's just hard to believe that he is gone

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I know it's hard right now but it will get easier as the days pass. He is surely in a better place now but my thoughts and prayers are with you, Chase, and his family.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am very sorry for your loss, I know how tough it is to watch someone young like that die from that terrible disease. It is amazing how these young kids deal with the fact that they know they are dying. He is in a better place because at the end it is so tough on them.
When I first opened my pool hall in 1990, there was a kid who was 13 at the time who used to come in practically everyday. He also had CF and he knew he would be lucky to make it to his 18th birthday. He had a great attitude and he loved being in my place. He loved to gamble whether it be on a game of pool or cards. I would sit with him for hours at the counter playing cards with him or playing pool with him. It was a very sad day when he died during his 18th year. He was in and out of the hospital that last year and his parents would ask me to keep a close eye on him and to call them if he looked like he was in distress. To the end he wanted to be in the pool hall every chance he could, and when he finally passed, his parents were very thankful to me for watching over him and for letting him feel like my place was his home away from home. I haven't thought about Keith Kaplan in a very long time, thanks for reminding me how strong the human spirit really is.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It's very difficult loosing a friend and family is terrible. Most all of us have been though it and there's no worse feeling I can recall that the loss of someone close to you. My condolences to you for the loss of your friend...and so very young.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I just figured you had more walnut.

He was always smiling and as energetic as he can be. I really feel for his older brother and sister, they have CF too. His sister is my age(19), and his brother is 14. Seeing him die so young from CF must really be difficult for them. I only wish he had died in the hospital. He died in his sleep at home. It must have been horrible for his parents to go wake him up on the morning and find him. I know I would rather have the hospital call and tell me, then find out the way they did. But you are right, it is a very hard disease to have. Hes probably up there in heaven kickin' ass at Call of Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.