Status
Not open for further replies.

Treebeerd

Lurker
Nov 27, 2019
Middle Earth Maryland
Hi Friends.
This is my first post into the forum.
I have been smoking for just a couple of months after a very long hiatus from a brief stint (another story though).
As I returned, like many newbies, I jumped in with aromatics and I will always probably lean that way as I do truly enjoy a nice aroma as do the people around me.
That said, not knowing exactly what I was doing, on an impulse, I bought a tin of Mac Barens Plumcake thinking it was going to be very aromatic (names can be so misleading).
Upon trying it for the first time as a pure heavy aeromatic smoker, Mac Barens was a shock and I didn't like it at all - so I put it to the side.
Fast forward about a month...
After reading more on this forum and watching reviews of tobaccos gaining more understanding and having my thoughts recalibrated (specifically on the Plumcake), I went back last evening and had a big full bowl of the Mac Barens in my Savinelli 673 KS. Oops - I liked it although compared to the aromatics I have been smoking, definitely had a big nicotine hit that threw me a bit (I am sure I will adjust).
After more learning, it seems to me that this tobacco may fall into an unusual area in that aromatic smokers don't really view this as an aromatic while non-aeromatic smokers do view this as an aromatic. So to my mind and the way I am currently looking at tobaccos from my neophyte perspective, I would define this as a "transitional" type tobacco going from aeromatic into more Virginia based.
This all said, and the reason for this long first post, can the good folks here provide any recommendations on similar to tobaccos that you would consider similar to the Mac Barens Plumcake as I would like to explore more what I might say are aromatic Virginias?
Thanks very much for taking the time to read my story and for any advice.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome aboard from Central Kentucky!

I would define this as a "transitional" type tobacco going from aeromatic into more Virginia based.
That one's got some Latakia in it. We call those English crossover blends.

similar to the Mac Barens Plumcake

These, like Plumcake, are latakia/aromatic crossovers.

-The Solent Mixture
-Bothy Flake
-Pembroke
-And So To Bed

aromatic Virginias

-Ennerdale Flake
-Superior Navy Flake
-Luxury Twist Flake
-Autumn Evening
-Sweet Coconut Twist
-Sweet Maple Twist

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Sorry if I'm a bit off the mark here, but I'd heartily recommend the below:

Mac Barren Solent Mixture and C&D Black Frigate are similar to Plum Cake. There's a thread on here with a similar question (and lots of suggestions). See this link

The only crossover tobacco (as in, kinda aromatic, but really more English) that I smoke would be 'Bob's Chocolate Flake'. It's a tasty virginia/burley flake (with a bit of Latakia) it has a vanilla/dark-chocolate hint. The flavour deepens toward the end to a rich cigarish taste.

Similar to Plumb Cake it is not - but Seattle Pipe Club's Plumb Pudding is an English/Balkan that is another great tobacco blend. The only similarity is the word 'plum' and it not being an aromatic (which is why it sprang to my mind).

I'm certainly not much of an aromatic smoker. But I'd heartily recommend Solani's Blend 639: Tropical Mango Flake (which IS an aromatic) -- It's made from top quality tobacco and has a nice taste, but also leaves a great aroma. It is very strong though if you aren't used to the nicotine.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.