Tobacco tins named 'Four Square ' and by John Sinclair - are they any good?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Dear forum members,
From a non-smoking friend, I have the chance to acquire some old tobacco by 'Four Square' and by John Sinclair in almost negligible cost.

Should I just give up the idea? Are they any good?
Hope some of the old palate in here can give me some direction.

:puffpipe:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
They sell for serious money, so although I have not tried them I would snatch them up in a second. Especially if you have a chance to acquire them cheaply. I'm sure some of our members can give you direct input on their flavors.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Is it true for 'Four Square'? Or both?

The whole story is the tins seem to be mostly opened and I think the content needs to be rehydrated.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
It is a mild Virginia with some condimental tobacco, I think some Oriental.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Both Dan and myself would be very interested in purchasing these tins if you wish to pass or even trading with you for something you might enjoy especially if they are sealed! Please feel free to PM me.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
Dobies Four Square had a whole range of blends with the squares being different colours e.g. Green = Latakia Mixture, Yellow = Cut Cake, Purple = Spun Cut, Blue = Navy Cut etc.; all excellent.
John Sinclair is like a milder version of St. Bruno i.e. Va. flake + some Burley addition + a mild flavouring.
Certainly worth acquiring; quality depends on how dried out as, although rehydration works, its never the same as it originally was.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Four+Square+tobacco+images&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YLEOVbWQIY7laPLPgugH&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1152&bih=749

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
John Sinclair Flake is a tobacco that is seldom seen or heard about these days. like Jimbo said, it's a milder version of St. Bruno but IMO one of the finest Virginia tobaccos ever blended. I don't believe that it would sell for a lot of $$ because it's virtually unknown to many smokers. It is not as powerful a smoke as St. Bruno and has a distinctly different flavor and very delicious. Buy It.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Thank you for all the input.
@condorlover1

Dan has PM-ed me. ;)
@jimbo44

I have only 2 (or 1 and a half?) tins: the red color and the brown color. :oops:
The John Sinclair tins are more mysterious. Here is the picture of all of them.

uc

I shall follow-up here when I have time to attend to these tins again.

Status
Not open for further replies.