PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Ok so, being still somewhat new to the pipe, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good rich tobacco. I'm getting a Savinelli Roma 110 and was thinking about trying the McClelland 221b Black Shag (being a diehard Sherlock Holmes reader). But I'm up for suggestions, just wanting that first draw on the new Savinelli to be a memorable one. Not to mention, shamefully I've been using Bacco brand pipe tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a wonderland of blends out there, as we learn daily on Forums. Just a few of the many I've enjoyed,

and only non-aromatics, though I enjoy them too: GLP Triple Play plug; Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy

Flake; C&D burley blends such as Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, and Big 'n Burley; and if you are really into

burley and want something unusual, Vincent Manil Pure Semois. For a great and refined English blend,

try Nat Sherman's 536. The list goes on forever, but these are blends that have pleased me big time.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Some of those sound quite appeasing, but I do have to ask, what exactly is an aromatic? I'm still a bit new on that front.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Aromatic means a 'cased' tobacco- that is, it has flavor added, E.G. cherry, rum, vanilla, etc.
English usually means a blend with latakia, a rich, smoky condiment tobacco.
Balkans have both latakia and other 'oriental' condiment tobaccos.
Straight Virginias have naturally sweeter tobacco, usually more subtle flavor though.
VaPers have Virginia and perique as a condiment tobacco, which adds a spicy kick.
There are other styles out there, but these are the main ones. If you want to smoke something that old Sherlock might have used, you want a latakia forward English blend. Usually not recommended for beginners due to their relatively strong flavor and pungent room aroma. BUT, if you want something like that try Dunhill Nightcap or Mixture 965. Latakia blends became popular due to Britain's purity laws, which forbid most casings or added flavors, so blenders just started to mix a wide variety of tobacco to get lots of natural flavors.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Wow that's awesome, I never knew there was such a vast array of tobacco out there. I thank you both for your knowledge and help on the matter. You guys are a plethora of knowledge. Definitely going to try some of those!

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
I've noticed that the brand I use is really thin and smaller or more shredded than the tobacco I've seen online, those look thick or rather flaky in comparison.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
I'll definitely look into that @Iraisch, thank you for the tip. And +1 for being a fellow Sherlockian.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I've noticed that the brand I use is really thin and smaller or more shredded than the tobacco I've seen online
Sounds like you have been smoking a shag cut. Ribbon cut is standard for most pipe tobacco, but you can also have flake, broken flake, plug, cake, rope, etc.
There are many hundreds of different tobacco blends out there, it is easy to get lost. You will probably get a lot of different recommendations on this thread. Just remember, everyone is different so try a few things and see what you like. If you try some bulk tobaccos it is cheaper- Stokkebye has a great range of bulk tobacco. Try an ounce of their Proper English and an ounce of their Luxury Navy Flake (a VaPer). If you hate both of those you are probably still in the aromatic boat.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Great tip @hiplainsdrifter. The brand I've been using is called Bacco brand. Kind of a poor man's brand I guess, it's decent but definitely not on par with the good brands out there but it's cheap as they come. Bit tight on money sometimes.

It's a bit too mild for my taste though.

Status
Not open for further replies.