PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Question friends, I am slowly building my cellar. I Notice my apartment (the area my cellar is stored. It's beginning to smell like tobacco). I'm fine with the smell, but my girlfriend isn't. She wants to put odor shields around the cellar. All my tobacco are stored in mason jars. The Pipes are empty.
I have to admit-I think it's the Latakia stored in jars that smell up the place. What do you guys do to mask the smell?
Thanks for your Input.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No masking here. I've amplified it by installing cedar panels into my closet. My wife says nothing about it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tell her the odors helps keep La Cucaracha and the Meese away. Ratons, too.
Plus, mason jars with lids on properly do not emit odors.
Maybe hang some old jock straps in the closet??

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Check the seals on those jars, then I'd just get some potpourri and leave it out in a dish nearby.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm having difficulty imagining deathmetal buying some potpourri.
It happens. The last time was a prank, though. I hid some in a friend's truck just to enjoy him wondering where the Lakeland-like scent was coming from. He actually cleaned that truck, which seems like it hasn't had a good cleansing since he bought it back in the 90s. When he starts talking to me again I'll let you know what type of potpourri it was.
But, speaking in the abstract, the stuff is magical anytime someone starts complaining about smells. First, it can mask any scent, including human corpses up to the three week mark. Next, it's so annoying that people stop complaining about your tobacco, start hating on the potpourri, and then grumble resignedly when the tobacco smell comes back.
As far as girlfriends go, the dynamics are rather complicated. Is this just a shit test? Many members think so, at which point the correct remedy is denial. Or does she have a legitimate case, like a bucketload of Latakia stored next to her bed, knowing that women are not in fact equal to men in this area, but are more susceptible to Latakia irritation? Or is this the first sign that the relationship is in trouble and she is finding a pretext for disagreement which will eventually necessitate separation or warm blue container time?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If you are smelling tobacco then that tells me your jars aren't sealed properly.
Relating to Deathmetal's tale, my father told me many years ago he was leaving one newspaper to work at another one and before he left he nailed a kipper to the underside of his old editor's chair!
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Almost forgot about Drew Peterson. And I guess it was a "warm blue" container, not a warm, blue container. Though the former would get warmer with a decomposing body in it.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
sorry guys noob fault, I have a few open cans of frog Morton and Balkan blue in their original cans open. That's where the smell is coming from.
FYI..girlfriend is cool with pipe smoking, she likes the cherry aromatics and she wants a pink pipe. I'm not kidding about her wanting a pink pipe lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't see sealed or lidded tins or jars imparting much smell. I have enough 'baccy around but no tobacco smell. So I'd sniff around and see what is not completely sealed. Even with a bowl that is sometimes used for drying tobacco, there's not much odor. Only when I smoke, and the smell is from the smoke. Though I am used to tobacco smell, I believe I'd smell it going from the room where the tobacco is to other rooms and other floors of the house. So I think this problem is solvable. Is your girlfriend uncommonly sensitive in the sense of smell? Some people have olfactory senses like a bomb-sniffing dog and can smell through walls and in car doors at the far end of parking garages. That's a different problem. In that case, she will always be smelling something if you quit tobacco tomorrow.
Opps, see you found the answer. Good job!

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Old timey (1905) song lyrics: ...."A woman's only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke".... In your case, a pipe.
Pick your poison. Eyes wide shut???? ....Perhaps a preview of what's to come....Good luck with that. : ))))
Frank

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
wow...guess I made the wrong choice joining this forum. Enough with the girlfriend bashing.
Best of luck guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.