PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I know this has probably been covered before and that there maybe some knowledgeable persons that could help me out. Can I, as a Canadian, order tobacco from the U.S.? I want to try different brands but the prices here are insane.... Your average 50g tin of McClelland is about $35 (up to $75 for the Christmas blends), Dunhill Morning Glory is $40 a 50g tin, and a pouch of Mac Baren Gold will run you about $27. I am not looking to order pounds of tobacco but a few tins that I can't get here would be great.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
4noggins ships to Canada - and I want to say as long as you stay under 200g there is no issue - it may be more I forget the threads that had this in them.
http://www.4noggins.com/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2013-100-g.aspx $15 bucks for Christmas Cheer...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there. Here is a link to one of the earlier discussions/threads.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/shipping-tobacco-to-canada-from-the-us-privately
In general, it looks like you're safe if ordering 200g or less. Orders over that volume you're taking your chances with paying duty. Many of us order from US online tobacco e-tailers. Many have ordered much more tobacco than I have, and nearly everyone can talk to being charged duty on an order now and again when they order over the limit.
Do the math on the cost of tobacco locally versus the cost of buying online, shipping, and subsequent duties to see if it is worth the cost to you personally. Mind you, if the tobacco you want to buy isn't available locally, you're options are back to "order 200g or less," or, "be prepared to pay duty."
Hope that helps!
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
There are no issues ordering tobacco from the states into Canada. I strongly recommend 4Noggins as Rich is a great guy to deal with. Technically, any abount of tobacco ordered through mail is subject to customs charges. That being said, they don't usually bother with the paperwork for 200 gram orders. Nonetheless, I would expect all order to get charged duty, and if they slip through, it is a bonus. Even with customs charges/ shipping charges and the actual cost of the tobacco, it still will come in cheaper than buying in Canada.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Rich at 4noggins is da man when it comes to shipping to Canada. Every brother to the north swears by him. I use him because he gives me a 40% discount on all my orders. I do have some pictures of him with farm animals he doesn't want getting out. lol

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I will have to shoot him an E-mail. Honestly with the amount I've been smoking a couple of 50g tins would probably last me a month and a half. Even with duty it still works out cheaper and I've been wanting to try the McClelland 221b Black shag for months!! I will still get my regular blend from my shop here as I've been buying there for years and love support the local guys.

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
I will be putting in an order through 4noggins in about a week and a half. I plan to order in 200g of his Lord Methley's blend, hopefully ti goes through without a hitch. From what i can tell for personal use you can import up to 5 units of tobacco * in the case of pipe tobacco 1 unit would be 200g individually packaged*. I will likely report back as to my result with CBSA as it arrives.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Have to agree with all of you, between SmokingPipes and 4noggins, the latter is the better of the two. I do have to say ive taken advantage of the Escudo and Dunhill sale from SmokingPipes, and have had zero issue with pushing my orders to 250g, even more with 4noggins, because they package everything small and discreet. Im in Ottawa FYI

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Any amount you order can be charged duty. Just factor that in when you order, and as mentioned often before, you will still come out ahead of the game in terms of cost. I order smaller amounts more frequently, and that seems to be working nicely. I agree with the others above, 4noggins has the best shipping to Canada in my experience.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'll echo what Ghost has said. I work in the postal/shipping industry and ANY order is subject to duties unless you physically stay in the States for 48 hours or more. That being said, the 200 gram limit is a good guideline as Customs generally can't be bothered to nail duty on an obviously personal order. However, should you get hit with duty, and I have a couple of times, its still FAR cheaper than paying for tobacco locally.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I keep my orders at the 200g limit.

Sooo many times I have wanted to fill the cart, but my luck I would get nailed.

You can imagine how long it takes to get a good cellar going.

The price of the tobacco I buy pretty much equals the shipping cost charged.

I order from smokingpipes and 4noggins, both have great service.

Fellow members in the States, I am jealous at the amount of tobacco you can order at one time

without fear of Duty Charges.

So I continue making my many tobacco orders, and I do mean many.!!!!

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Yeah, my next TAD is going to be split into 3 or 4 separate orders unfortunately...I wonder if I could call Rich at 4nog and put one order in but get him to ship in 3 separate packages? Anyone try this or just order 3 separate times?

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Harris........Baaaaah!!
Alex: Please separate orders since the shipping cost will vary based on 1 or 3 shipments.
Thank all for your kind words.
Time to tend to my farm animals now. Come closer little sheepy, daddy has a present for you.
Rich

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Excellent, thanks for the info Rich. Fainting goats are the best, put up the least resistance.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Fellow members in the States, I am jealous at the amount of tobacco you can order at one time

without fear of Duty Charges.
Our day is coming that we will be in the same boat as you Timely. :crying:

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.
I got dinged by CBSA today on a relatively small order. Tin of Escudo (50g), tin of Barbary Coast (57g), and three ounces of bulk (1 each of LNF, BL/WB, and LTF) from Smokingpipes.com.

Total tobacco weight: 191 grams.

Total tobacco value: $28.94.

Duty + GST + PST: $6.90

"Handling costs" for CBSA to open my package: $9.95

Total extra charge by CBSA: $16.85.
I guess even keeping orders under 200g is no guarantee you won't get hit.
On the plus side, $28 for tobacco and $17 for CBSA is still cheaper than the $115 it would have cost me at the local b&m.
p.s. Does this mean I'm more likely to get dinged by CBSA in the future?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Yaddy, that isn't too bad. Clearly you don't live in Alberta as I'm pretty sure the starting cost of PST is around the $60 point, and that does not include GST or any other fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.