PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc532c

Lurker
Feb 15, 2019
Can anyone recommend a good tobacco at a "reasonable" price?
And while you're at it, if you can tell me what you like about the brand and the general cost, your name will be writ large in the self-help books of my children's children.
Thanks in advance,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Much depends on your own preferences, but I'd look both at bulk and bagged blends. Some are better than others, but you will certainly save money, and some are quite good. Both Virginias and burley based blends are available, and both these are sometimes processed as Cavendish, flavored (aromatic) or non-. You might start looking at Daughters and Ryan, Sutliff, and Lane, but there are many others.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
+1 what MSO said.
Check out Daughters & Ryan for 1-pound bags of good tobacco, and some bulk blends of your choice. Also might want to look at some over the counter stuff such as Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert, Carter Hall or any of the many other "drugstore" blends that are generally reasonable.
You certainly don't have to go on a search for the rare / hard to find or expensive labels to enjoy pipe smoking. Generations of pipe smokers enjoyed one or two easily accessible blends that didn't break the bank

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Mac Baren 7 seas can be bought in bulk for $2.60 an ounce and less if you buy larger quantities.
Vanilla Cream can be had for $38 a pound or $11 for 3.5 ounces
Golden Extra is also $11 for 3.5 ounces
Just three examples of (IMO) excellent middle of the road tobaccos that are a step "above" OTC at the same price.
Some people just have to have that tin of unobtainium and that's their business. I'm perfectly happy being in the middle with frequent excursions to that "low class OTC" :nana:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can sample bulk in smaller quantities and thus avoid buying 12 or 16 oz you may not like. But you can also buy some bagged tobacco at excellent prices, if you know what you like, to some degree, already. I wouldn't buy 16 oz. of Virginia (or burley, or Cavendish) if you don't know if you like that leaf. I'd keep the quantities as small as possible for a year or two as you sample, and if you don't like a blend, I'd jar it and try it a year later. Your tastes change. (Cavendish isn't "a leaf" or a blend per se, but a process, but it is a process that renders Virginia or burley different from its usual flavor.) Likewise, just because you really like something, don't go out and buy a pound. You just don't know that it will please you over time.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Lane Limited Ready Rubbed (formerly Edgeworth) can be had for $27/lb at Pipes and Cigars. The P&C description says in part:
"Rich mahogany Burley has been treated the the original casing and top-note to deliver a smooth, bite-free experience with notes of cocoa and molasses that's perfect for the all-day puffer."
Yup. It has a very long history as well, which makes it easy to recommend to new pipe smokers.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Cornell and Diehl bulk: currently $36.50/lb for most, not to mention D&R's options mentioned above.
If you don't go overboard with TAD/PAD, pipe smoking can be a really economical hobby.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I was reading about Captain Black copper earlier today on tobaccoreviews.com, it got 4 stars from a number of credible reviewers. I'm going to give that one a try.
Cornel & Diehl bulk goes for about 5 an ounce in a local b&m, so if that's an option you can sample some high-end stuff without spending much.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Peter Stokkebye's bulk blends are a great value. I recommend Proper English, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Luxury Navy Flake, and Cube Cut. There are so many other Stokkebye blends you're sure to find one you like and being a bulk you can buy an ounce at a time to try them.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Lane Limited Ready Rubbed (formerly Edgeworth) can be had for $27/lb at Pipes and Cigars. The P&C description says in part:

"Rich mahogany Burley has been treated the the original casing and top-note to deliver a smooth, bite-free experience with notes of cocoa and molasses that's perfect for the all-day puffer."

Yup. It has a very long history as well, which makes it easy to recommend to new pipe smokers.
Absolutely. I also love the Sutliff Match Edgeworth, and prefer it slightly to the Lane. It too can be had for a song of under$27/lb.

I also second the Stokkebye recommendation. Many great tobaccos to choose from.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut. Half burley, half red Virginia, with a little molasses (or chocolate or something) added. Not too mild, not too strong, very tasty and smooth. Packing a cube cut is borderline idiot-proof, and with a little drying time it burns great. Great tobacco flavor, with a room note even non smokers will like. $33 / lb.
It’s always readily available.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
This thread reminds me just how affordable really great pipe tobacco is. I average about 3 bowls a day. Normally in the evening after I get home from work. . It's the most enjoyable part of my day kicking back with a great book or reading the posts here in the forum. Accompanied by a nice pipe. Definitely an amazing value for the amount of enjoyment I receive.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I third Prariedruid’s P. Stokkebye’s recommendations. I was hoping Proper English was a secret ;-)
Anyway, to your question cc532c, there’s Grand Croupier Boneyard, which as I understand it is a leftover mystery bag of C&D English blends (someone chime in if I’m mistaken). I’ve yet to try it, and of course by definition it should change somewhat every time you buy it, but for $15ish a pound I’m going to try it. If I like it it’s a no brainer for me to grab a pound or three for the cellar.
Oh, the Grand Croupier line also has an aromatic (Jackpot), and Va/Bur (Double Down), all in the $15/lb price.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I started with a few tins online and then poked around at my B&M shop.
I had to set a threshold for myself to conform my smoking habit to my modest blue collar income.
The magic/arbitrary number I chose was $3 per ounce. If I can obtain tobacco I enjoy for that price, I feel satisfied and sustainable.
Some, like the D&R can easily be had for less. Other, "fancier" blends will occasionally push the bar higher. Then, there's the nice, aged treats.
Do lots of window shopping. Get a "feel" for the sale cycles and plan for medium-long range purchases.
If you like a particular blend, do a web search regularly and study it some. For instance, most of us know that once per year, a popular forum sponsor is going to put the Peter Stokkebye bulks on a 20% sale and we time large purchases accordingly.
Give thanks to the tobacco gods by occasionally getting some goodies at the local shop, planning to spend more. Look for opportunities to "give" and "receive". I recently grabbed some aged Virginias at a cost well above my normal limit because the seller had unexpected bills to pay and is considered a forum friend.
Stop buying clothes and food and such, as they all take up valuable real estate that is needed for canning jars full of tobacco.....
jay-roger.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
"Stop buying clothes and food and such, as they all take up valuable real estate that is needed for canning jars full of tobacco" :rofl:
Classic! This deserves an award or something. Bartender, buy that man a drink!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I started with the pipe, I had a drug store cob and some inexpensive bagged burley and didn't know not to inhale.

I discovered that piping was much much more than I had thought when I found this website.

Eager to learn, I tried as many tobacco blends as I could while I learned as much as I could about the hobby and it's various complexities.

After all that, I now smoke mostly Daughters and Ryan bulks, and I am perfectly content and have lots of tobacco.

I love to blend 3 of their blends in particular. I use 3 Sails, TwoTimer, and Picayune to make my own Trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.