PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
You must be very sensitive to Latakia as there is barely any at all in Black Frigate.
So, John Cotton's being an English, it does contain more Latakia than Black Frigate? I'm surprised...
What makes Black Frigate kind of more punchy than John Cotton's? (I know Latakia isn't a hard-hitting tobacco, just curious)
Thanks for the recommendation by the way!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Over the past several years I've avoided most English blends and have never tried any of the John Cotton's blends, but would guess that it's the type of Virginas used in BF, or maybe the rum.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I smoked two bowls of Black Frigate (pretty much back-to-back) and could literally not taste any latakia. I'm pretty confident there is only a miniscule amount of latakia in the blend. Whatever you aren't liking about Black Frigate is probably something other than the latakia. Of course it's also possible I could've just been having one of those days where tastes are a little off, and it's also possible you just really really dislike latakia and are sensitive to it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I smoked two bowls of Black Frigate (pretty much back-to-back) and could literally not taste any latakia. I'm pretty confident there is only a miniscule amount of latakia in the blend. Whatever you aren't liking about Black Frigate is probably something other than the latakia. Of course it's also possible I could've just been having one of those days where tastes are a little off, and it's also possible you just really really dislike latakia and are sensitive to it.
Well, at the beginning (2 weeks ago or so) I found a somewhat similar and pungent taste in both John Cotton's and Black Frigate and, reading the descriptions, I deduced it was the latakia.
Maybe it was "placebo", but I still think there's something in common between those two.
What do you think it may be if not the latakia?
Today, 2 weeks later, John Cotton's tastes very smoky to me, but mild. Black Frigate's taste is harder to pinpoint (more diverse/complex IMO), but there is definitely some link between the two.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoked two bowls of Black Frigate (pretty much back-to-back) and could literally not taste any latakia. I'm pretty confident there is only a miniscule amount of latakia in the blend.
That's why I like it so much.

Mar 29, 2016
" What makes Black Frigate kind of more punchy than John Cotton's? (I know Latakia isn't a hard-hitting tobacco, just curious)"
I do find that C&D Virginias are on the medium to strong side, so that might be it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's why I like it so much.
I'm confident that every member of this forum is well-acquainted with your views on latakia :puffy:
I will also admit that I have come to prefer a good Virginia over any latakia blend most of the time, and now only occasionally smoke latakia, maybe once or twice week, and probably less often than that once spring comes since I'm essentially a seasonal latakia smoker.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
So I went through you guys' recommendations, did some research and bought the following tobaccos:

MacBaren HH Burley Flake (Burley based)

So, how does it taste?

If you're not a Latakia guy or maybe just somewhat, I'd recommend Macbaren's HH Latakia Flake as well, for me it was a very unique Latakia blend, different (somehow smoother) than any others (smoked so far).

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
So, how does it taste?
Both are great!
Tasted them first yesterday, and kept puffing today.
The HH Burley flake caught my attention more (especially when very dry), but Viprati is amazing too.
The Burley Flake reminds me of chocolate with a hint of coffee. I smoke it drinking chocolate-flavored coffee... Overkill, isn't it? :rofl:

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
The Burley Flake reminds me of chocolate with a hint of coffee. I smoke it drinking chocolate-flavored coffee... Overkill, isn't it?

Haven't tried yet a chocolate-flavoured coffee but if you like it, that's it. :) Love a lot of sugar in it but recently my stomach has started to complain and for health reasons I've eliminated the sugar. It's not that bad after all, it's surprising how flexible a human body can be. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.