PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadosaurusrex

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2019
If you put enough Carter Hall, you could. It's really just all about the proportions. But Latakia is very potent in a blend, so it would probably need to be mainly Carter Hall. Also, if you want to try some blends that have very little latakia, but are still nice and strong, C&D's Bayou Night has a very subtle latakia flavor, and C&D's Big and Burley is a strong burley with a subtle latakia flavor.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Sutliff Aromatic English sold in bulk is a nice aromatic-english crossover to my palate. I'm not a big fan of Lat bombs either, but I do like a little latakia when used as a condiment rather than the main ingredient.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
If you put enough Carter Hall, you could. It's really just all about the proportions. But Latakia is very potent in a blend, so it would probably need to be mainly Carter Hall.

Taken note!
What about Dunhill Royal Yacht Mixture? What do you guys think?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Machado,Dunhill Royal Yacht is pretty strong in nicotine,Ribbon cut,primarily Virgina tobacco with some 'secret sauce.Perhaps You would like enjoying Peterson Hyde Park instead which is VaBur akin to G&H Rum Flake a bit less floral topping though.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm taking notes from all of you guys.
If I didn't enjoy latakia, I would enjoy C&D Burley Flake #1, which is unlike all of those other wimpy flatulent burley flakes. It's the only tobacco anyone needs. You will definitely like it.
I was just searching about the Cornell & Diehl Burley Flakes. They all seem to be delicious. In your opinion, in which points is #1 better than the other Burley Flakes from C&D?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
If you put enough Carter Hall, you could. It's really just all about the proportions. But Latakia is very potent in a blend, so it would probably need to be mainly Carter Hall.
I've just blended 2/3 Carter Hall and 1/3 John Cotton and it worked fairly good.
Seems that just a bit of latakia doesn't hurt so much.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Latakia and perique are like pepper and cumin: they are meant to be condiments, not core ingredients.
So would you say that those companies producing blends that contain reasonable to big amounts of latakia are missing the point?

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
HH Old Dark Fired has already been mentioned, but I'll also recommend you try HH Burley Flake as well. It's not as strong as Old Dark Fired and certainly not as strong as Irish Flake, but nonetheless a very tasty Burley blend.

Mar 29, 2016
Planta - Presbyterian Mixture could maybe fit the bill with just a smidgen, some say none, of Latakia. Otherwise, Orlik Golden Sliced, Belgian Semois is an interesting kind of Burley also. C&D Briar Fox is a nice Bur/Va.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
So I went through you guys' recommendations, did some research and bought the following tobaccos:

MacBaren HH Burley Flake (Burley based)

Hearth and Home Viprati (Va/Per)
Those two had amazing reviews and some of you guys recommended it as well...
I guess both must be great.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
By the way, I'm getting used to latakia as time goes by. I insisted on smoking it and my palate adapted to it.
John Cotton's is very addictive, I'm smoking it all the time, despite still not enjoying the smoky "campfire" taste of latakia that much.
Black Frigate is a little stronger, but I'm starting to like it too.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Haunted Bookshop from C&D is a tasty burley based blend.
Another burley based blend I enjoy os Prince Albert.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You must be very sensitive to Latakia as there is barely any at all in Black Frigate. When I lost my taste for heavy Lat blends I started enjoying Virginia blends more especially Virginia/Oriental blends. All of the above suggestions sound great so I'll just add G.L. Pease's Cairo to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.