PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I am discovering my first couple of non-aromatics so I went on and bought 2 blends that contain a lot Latakia: John Cotton's Number 1 and Black Frigate. I found their taste similarly overpowering on the bad side, especially Black Frigate. Not in the nicotine department, but in the taste department itself.
So, any tobacco recommendations to which non-aromatics I should buy next? I liked Peterson Irish Flake a lot.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
There are alot of good tobaccos that do not contain Latakia. Capstan Original or Gold, Hearth & Home Viprati are few you might want to try. I'm sure others will chime in with some good ones as well.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Thank you for the recommendations so far. It seems that all of those are straight Virginas or Va/Per's.
Any Burley based recommendations?

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I've moved to Virginia's lately i used to enjoy latakia but ordered a few tins of ogs and have been working through them for the past month luxury bullseye flake, sutliff 507c, luxury navy flake all seem pretty good to me

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A few VaBurs that IMO are very good:
MacBaren Navy Flake

GLP Barbary Coast (more burley than Va)

C&D Redburn

C&D Briar Fox

Stokkebye Cube Cut
If you don’t like latakia, you may not like dark fired Kentucky too much, either

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If you don’t like latakia, you may not like dark fired Kentucky too much, either

Maybe krizzose is on to something here.
I wouldn't rate BF as a latakia bomb. I notice the latakia in there but it's not overpowering like it is in other blends, say Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. If you're that latakia-intolerant, stay away from EMP and Nightcap (which should be easy, considering they're no longer being made).
You just might be an aromatic smoker, in which case I salute you.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
+1 Olkofri. I wouldn't rate either of these blends as a lat-bomb.
Either way, there's nothing wrong with not being into Latakia blends. I'd recommend about any of Cornell and Diehl's burley blends (Old Joe Krantz and Three Friars are both good), or some mild Virginia blends like GL Pease Union Square or Cornell and Diehl Opening Night.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'll put this one at the bottom of my priorities, then.
You just might be an aromatic smoker, in which case I salute you.
Could be the case, but I've found all the aromatics I've smoked not as interesting as Peterson Irish Flake, which was the best tobacco I've ever had. I had to tone down its strength though, the nic hit was intense.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You can try. I hear they become milder with age, but not sure if that refers to flavour or nic hit.
I'd encourage you to try to get some Sillem's Black (an aromatic with latakia), or some other more sophisticated aromatics, such as Vauen's. 7 Seas and CB are low in the complexity scale.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'd encourage you to try to get some Sillem's Black (an aromatic with latakia), or some other more sophisticated aromatics, such as Vauen's. 7 Seas and CB are low in the complexity scale.
I'm not really enjoying 7 Seas and CB very much anymore. I mean, I can smoke them, they are OK, but my heart asks for something better, like Irish Flake. That's why I asked for burley recommendations.
I'll look up for those you mentioned. I recently bought a tin of Stanwell Melange which is said to be a top notch aromatic. I found Melange to be better than 7 Seas, but still not great like Irish Flake.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I dislike latakia but like Dark Fired in reasonable amounts. If you like Irish Flake you will certainly like Peterson's Perfect Plug, and based on descriptions I guess University Flake as well.

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is an excellent example of a blend with lots of Dark Fired but balanced with virginias.

For blends with Dark Fired as a condiment and more of a medium nic hit compared to Irish Flake I'll recommend St Bruno and Hal o' the Wynd. They are both very flavorful virginia blends. HotW has perique and Dark Fired and StB has Dark Fired and an aromatic topping. Both are excellent.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you don't like JC#1 or Black Frigate, I'm afraid we can't be friends.... :nana:
I'm going to offer that you should try something with dark fired anyway. To me, it's very different than latakia.
For generating ideas, use the tobacco locator tool on smokingpipes.com
Even if you can't order from them, the tool will help you research by category and components.
MacBaren's HH Acadian Perique has just about everything but latakia in it and I enjoy it quite a bit.
jay-roger.jpg

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Hmmmm, you want burley in the mix and no latakia.

How about Brunello Flake, University Flake or Stonehenge Flake?

dadosaurusrex

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2019
You can't go wrong with C&D's Old Joe Krantz, but it does have a pretty good nic hit. If you haven't tried Mac Baren's HH Acadian Perique, you might want to give that a shot, it's a really interesting blend and not as strong as Old Joe Krantz. I also really love C&D's Bayou Morning, which doesn't have burley, but it's still worth a try.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
This thread is something that I'll save to my Favorites here in Firefox. Amazing recommendations. Big thanks to you ALL!
But I would also like to ask something else: is it possible to tone down the taste of latakia with Carter Hall?

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Mississippi river is a mellow smoke with just a touch of latakia, some people cannot taste anything in it but the taste is there just mellow. I mean if you want to give lat another try that has to be the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.