PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Ok, I am a cig smoker, for last 40 years, trying to break the habit. I have smoked menthols for the last 20, bare in mind, these are Canadian cigs, so they don't have that rough taste that American cigs do. A pack of 25 a day, down to 8 in the last 5 days, so slowly getting there. I have tried the following, with only one or two that I really enjoy. What would you recommend I try that might get me to zero smokes. Yes I am inhaling, I know its wrong, but hard to break the habit of clogged lungs.
Captain Black - Royal and Gold, ok flavours I guess

Paladin Black Cherry - Find it weak and hardly any cherry flavour

4Noggins Bulk - Other then Lord Methleys, all are ok and were tossed into a bin for emergencies :)

BUTTERNUT BURLEY

DOUBLE FANTASY

COVERED BRIDGES

KILLINGTON

LORD METHLEY'S - really enjoy this flavour

OTTER CREEK - just ok

TROUT STREAM - just ok

English - Didn't like any in particular, dumped into one bin

CHIPMAN HILL -

OWLS HEAD

JESSES OWN

BUTTON BAY

HARVEST MOON

SUTLIFF PRIVATE STOCK - These are ok I guess, but not the flavour I am hoping for

MOLTO DOLCE - just ok

Apples & Cream

Maple Street - This one I like, but it isn't that one that makes me say wow.
I have the following on order.

LANES - LL7

Hearth and Home - EGG NOG

Sutliff Bulk - FROSTY MINT - I can't wait for this to arrive, high expectations

Dan Tobacco - SWEET VANILLA HONEYDEW

Dan Tobacco - MILONGA

Dan Tobacco - DEVILS HOLIDAY

Gawirth Hogarth - TOP BLACK CHERRY

MacBaren - CHERRY AMBROSIA

MacBaren - 7 SEAS RED
Any insight you all can give me would be appreciated.
Richard

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Sorry to sound like a broken record - but since you asked: I would strongly recommend against this many aromatics for a cig smoker. You're just not going to find the flavors you're looking for.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Sam, how in gods name did you stop inhaling, I am doing the French inhale and sip/puff an out the nose, but lord almighty its hard to not pull that smoke into my lungs.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I have been at it for about a year and still find myself inhaling a few times per bowl but it does get easier with practice. I still am smoking cigarettes due to the -40 outdoors but will likely drop them again come spring. I find that the aromatics just don't do it for me so far, toss a tin of Old Dark Fired in your next 4noggins order, it really is a game changer!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 Perique
I don't see Carter Hall or Prince Albert or Half & Half ... worth a try.

Jan 8, 2013
+1 for Old Dark Fired. I just discovered this stuff last week. I too am a convert, down to about 4 cigs a day now. Everything Sam said is dead on. ODF is strong, tasty and dense. You wont want to inhale it. You will want to sip slow and enjoy the flavor.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
J.F. Germain: ROYAL JERSEY w/PERIQUE

jfgermainrjperique.jpg

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I just used a patch for 3 weeks ( declining dose) and the nic addiction was gone. Funny that cigars and pipes don't have the same effect on me addiction wise as cigarettes ... I would brave rain and snow for a cigarette and I don't even bring my pipe with me on my business trips each month. I think there are other things going into us cigarettes than just the natural nic in the leaf.

Jan 8, 2013
Agreed nurseman. Salmonfisher, make sure you have some sweet tea on hand when you sit down with that Old Dark Fired.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
That's just the problem, I don't drink tea or coffee or alcohol, cigs were my one vice, wifey hates smell of cig smoke and honestly I am not really fond of it, hence the reason to shift to a more pleasant room nite and smell on clothing. Just now I fired up the pipe and there is zero pleasure unless I inhale, I am kinda worried bout harsher blends, cause I know I will be inhaling those too lol.
For me, it's the pleasure of the smoke, this hobby will I hope help me to transition away from smokes and hopefully at some point be able to smoke the pipe as it appears you all do.
I have ordered some of he dark fired, will let you know how I like it once I stop coughing :)

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Well, there's the problem right there, salmonfisher... you don't have enough vices to begin with!
My southern baptist parents made sure I knew that everything enjoyable in life is a vice... hell, I feel guilty just waking up some mornings! :))

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Blackhouse is a nice strong kick in the pants too. Not sure about the N content.
But it satisfies your smokey desires.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Try to stay warm... while certainly no global warming that I can see, I do count my blessings living in Florida.
A couple of days ago I went out and stood in the surf watching all the kids who were skipping school and running around in their bathing suits having the time of their lives. Ahhh....to be young again!

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I am now down to 5 cigs a day and 3 bowls, I got in the Frosty Mint..and guess what...I love it lol....I am now mixing it up with a lot of what I have...I am enjoying it a lot. 3 more packs from the carton an I am done with smokes.
Not inhaling will come later lol

Status
Not open for further replies.