PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
Sorry if this has been started, however. Do people use leather tobacco pouches to keep there tobacco in or do you use the plastic pouch the tobacco comes in? I have a leather pouch but feel it could dry the tobacco to much or make it go stale/funny so tend to use the pouches it comes in. Dunno if I'm being bloody minded or not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to keep pouches in the pouch they come in for a time, and then transfer them to jars. However, I use a fold-over fabric pouch with a liner if I want to carry a portion of bulk tobacco from a jar. I think the fabric or leather tobacco pouches, zipper or fold-over, are also a sort of fashion accessory, to dress up the pipe smoking process and personalize it. If you have a handsome leather tobacco pouch, I'd make a point of using it. I don't store leaf in a pouch, or not for long periods. Frankly, when I've forgotten and left the tobacco in a pouch it came in, or a fold-over, the tobacco gets dry but smokes just fine. Not best practice, but perfectly fine, though I don't advertise it. Pipe smoking is pretty much freestyle, and you get to do it your way.

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
I am actually interested in getting a leather pipe & tobacco pouch for short outings. These days I take a small hard humidor case that I received for free with the purchase of some cigars about two years ago. I like the peace of mind that my current case brings, in regards to keeping my pipe safe, but I truly am a sucker for fine leathers.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I like the idea but it just never happens. I use the pouch it comes in or take a bit out of a mason jar and put in a small snack sized ziplock bag for travel.
Frankly, a pipe roll with room for two pipes, tamper and some pipe cleaners would be more useful to me than a tobacco pouch.
Still like the idea and the image of a nice leather tobacco pouch, but just don't see it being used much and dread the idea of filling, re-filling, stressing over whether to put English or Latakia or Lakelands in the same pouch that I might use for VAs, blah blah blah.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy, if no one uses them anymore, you really want to get that one in action. From your grandad ... priceless. I think the glory of leather tobacco pouches and the lesser but also good fabric fold-ups is that they can be pocketed and somewhat conform to your body, so you don't feel them at all. '30, I think you are onto something here, and may start a whole trend in this accessory. My longtime pipe carver from the N.C. foothills gave me a plaid fold-up as a freebie after my years of buying his pipes, and I value it by association. Actually, leather zipper tobacco pouches and fold-ups are featured in a number of catalogs and are well esteemed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
img_20190817_184822.jpg

img_20190817_184829.jpg

img_20190817_184853.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks, Pipesmoker30, for bringing up this topic. I have several sketches of different designs for leather pipe socks, pouches, and cases I am currently designing; but I was wondering if the toby will taste leathery and whether there's a market for such things... maybe I'll just be wasting leather that should be better used for wallets.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Every tobacco pouch I've had is lined, including the black leather one I keep in my golf bag. Tobacco stays fine for over a week, but it's refilled more often than that!
The handsome GBD pouch doesn't appear to be lined, but I bet it's good to go as is. Just do it!

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I have a Petersen tobacco and pipe pouch, but never use it. I fill up from jars at home, and in my car carry an old plastic one from the few timesw I got baccy in a pouch.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
My grandad was the only pipe smoker I used to know. He never used the pouch as you can see but he used a plastic zippy bag and I remember when I was a kid he used to keep his tobacco in glass jars with cork lids.
There's a few jars IV seen that I may invest in but there ceramic not glass.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I guess you can fill the pouch with some sacrificial tobacco, let it sit for a day or so and then smoke it. Guess that's one way to find out. :wink:

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I use a leather rollup when I go out. I have a couple of cut down heavy gauge zip-locks with the label of what the tobacco is..I put the plastic pouch into the leather pouch and I can switch blends by swaping out plastic "bags".
Still have my leather Comoy pouches from the 60's. zipper still works.

HFfXQpZl.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This might not be for everybody, but I like using this brass tobacco box. It holds about an ounce and a half. The tobacco is never in there long enough to get too dry. It fits nicely in my pipe kit too.
vSZagBN.jpg

Reactions: vates

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I have a Sorringowl leather pouch (that goes in a pipe roll) and a Peterson pouch that clips into a two pipe bag. The first I use when smoking in the park (just like that fact that I can unravel the roll on a bench and everything is to hand; the Peterson pipe bag and pouch I use when lunting (it's a convenient size for jacket pockets or fitting in a side pocket on a rucksack. Both get used every week; the roll most days the pouch probably every second day.
For my Grousemoor I use a German Silver tobacco box very like the brass one in the picture above (only without any embossing).
Both the leather pouches work fine and both have a lining to protect the tobacco from the leather (or the other way around).

Status
Not open for further replies.