PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Good Day All;
It's not often I spend much effort looking for new ( to me ) blends to try. I will read what others post on this forum, with interest.
However, recently I used the "tobacco locator" search on the smokingpipes.com site. It came up with number of blends, similar to my usual tobacco of choice, that I had never tried. I ordered 2 tins each of Savinelli's Doblone d'Oro, Samuel Gawith's, Cabbies Blend, and Murray's 1921 Cunningham. I have tried the first two. The Savinelli blend is quite nice, but to my tastes very mild. The SG Cabbies, jumped out and might just become a favorite. Incredible plum, fig, fruity aroma in the tin. After a little drying time, it smokes wonderfully. Nice rich flavor, a hint of spice, yet very smooth. Even a tad on the damp side it has a nice pleasant flavor.
If you haven't tried using this "app" on the smokingpipes site, I highly recommend it. It has opened my eyes, and taste buds to some very fine options, to Escudo and the like. With all the rumors and tales of blends which may no longer be available, this search is an amazing tool to assist in finding alternatives to any blend you love, but may not be able to purchase in the future.
Kudos to Sykes and his team. Brilliant! I am afraid to try the pipe locator option. It may open my eyes ( and wallet ) to too many pipes I must have.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Mike - I second your endorsement. I discovered new blends I'm absolutely crazy about, ones I would have never purchased solely on their website description. Stuff like Dunhill Aperitif and PS Twist Flake are two that come to mind.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha. I just spent five mintes toying with the search options and I totally stumped Smoking Pipes, they had no r commendations based off my criteria.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mike, does the currently available Cabbies Blend have a faint Lakeland ghost -- as if it was contaminated by processing it with the same equipment used for scented tobaccos?

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Savinelli's Doblone d'Oro is a good buy. Solid smoke. I have a quart jar full sitting in the dark somewhere around here.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Cortez,
I am not 100% sure. It does have the faint taste of a lil sumthin sumthin, but I cannot get a handle on it fully just yet.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It was a huge help to me before I had a grasp on what I liked to smoke.
I still occasionally run a search just to see what's there,

I was thinking that a "tobacco locator" was going to be like a detective who runs down all of the B&M's looking for your favorite hard-to-find tobaccos.
Of all the Pipe shops, gin joints, and tobacconists, she had to walk into mine, 5'10" with legs that go all the way up, red dress, and a look of pure desperation.

"How can I help you, sweetheart."

"Guy, I need help. I need four tins of Astleys 109, and I need them yesterday."

"alright Doll, you want the round tins or the square tins?"

"Ohhh Guy,.. you know all of the right questions. I want the round tins."

"You may be in for a let-down, last time I looked all the round tins were pushin' up daisys, Chicago raincoats, all of them."

:::sobs:::

"I hate to see a dame cry. Ok, I'm on the case..."

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I was thinking that a "tobacco locator" was going to be like a detective who runs down all of the B&M's looking for your favorite hard-to-find tobaccos.
:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.