PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've spent this weekend looking into ways to organize my tobacco. I tried every iOS app because I REALLY want to do this with my iPhone. I've discovered the most perfectly simple yet elegant solution. It allows you to create whatever categories you wish while allowing you to pick the type of input each chosen category requires, be it a date, barcode, text, whatever. Here are a few screen grabs to give you an idea. It's completely custom so you can add as many categories and subcategories as you wish. Once setup, it's a simple matter of either scanning barcode or taking a photo of a tin, filling in blanks and done.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Once setup, however you wish, the front screen looks like this, displaying names and quantity and photo. Really slick and so easy!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It would be nice to include the actually name of the app in your original post. Or did I miss something?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Oops! So sorry, my bad. It's called MyStuff2. There's three versions. One is a free trial and the others with varying features are 4.99 and 8.99.
MyStuff2 Lite - Home Inventory and Database by Rick Maddy

https://appsto.re/us/nWnjv.i
Just figured out you can add an input for cost per tin and it'll calculate the total cost based on quantity :) it does all sorts of stuff including output in a database format.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Nate, THANK YOU for posting this... I have been crushing along for a couple years keeping track of my preciouses with an Excel spreadsheet from hell that I also save as a pdf, image-grab, and copy/paste into the NotePad on the phone. Ridiculous sillyness. I have GOT to give this a try!!! Thank you!!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Very interesting. Unfortunately, Google Play doesn't have this program, but they do have a database program that I worked with once before, but ended up being too complicated. I ended up using Google Sheets spreadsheet instead.
I hope this works out for you, Although you may not want to know the total cost of your tobacco investment :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You're welcome Jerwynn! Ask me if you have any questions as I'm still finding my way around it. I HATE using spreadsheets. They're just so arcane. This app really couldn't be more perfect for our purpose. The more I use it the more I love it! Inputting data once you have the rest worked out is very easy. This will def change my tobacco world.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
For the iOS app or were you asking someone else?
For the iOS app.... Not sure if this will work, but here's a backup of my current inventory. Can't figure out how to empty it, but I haven't entered too many yet anyways.
HERE

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ok, so I put the msa file into my dropbox folder. Went (in Mystuff) to settings, data transfer, import data, Cloud, Dropbox, found the file and tapped on it. I was prompted to restore and said so -- no problem!!
I was able clear the database by tapping Edit - then tap each circle to the left, and (down the bottom) tap delete. I'm left with an empty database.
Many thanks!!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Nate DOOD!!! You are The Man!!! I did the same things as dhintonca above with similarly spectacular results!! In less than 5 minutes even!! THANK YOU a million times THANK YOU!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:
Arcane is not the word for evil spreadsheets... and I looked for a while, at least until I got more than frustrated, for easy-to-use databases with not too much success, and then figured the devil I knew was better than the one I didn't. What you have shared here really IS revolutionary!!(at least for me!) I have similarly wanted a way to keep track ON MY PHONE... since it is on my person just about all the time. And (maybe unfortunately) I just recently learned how easy it is to order stuff from my phone as well!! Gonna be a wonderfully deadly combination!! I really appreciate the efforts you expended to share the screen shots and initial info about the app... and then the link to your very own app-db... you saved me a ton of frazzle for I am not particularly whizzbangie at technostuff but this here is awesome!!! Thanks again!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm so stoked you love it also! This is SOOO much easier to input data than in a f'ing spreadsheet!
I'm still using the free version. Anyone here buy either of the paid versions? Any benefits? What's different? Worth upgrading?

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I actually went to the app-store and went straight to the $4.99 version... I actually thought that was the one you have too so I wanted to go there straight away! In the land of apps, I usually go to at least a minimally paid version to avoid pop-ups, advertising, certain versions of "in app/purchasing-querying-etc. Oh.. the other thing was that one "looked" most like the one you posted initially in this post... although I didn't really do enough poking around to see what was different. I did get a kick over the color scheme being based on tobacco-brown!! YeeHaaaaw, Billy-Bob!!! Now I've got my LAST printed spread sheet in hand and am going to read my preciouses into the MyStuff2 phone-a-saurus rex!! This is awesome! Thank you again, Nate!
Incidently, I removed the cost attributes... I didn't want to be reminded how much all these treasures cost... maybe it's something like a guilt/extravagance/luxury-item/in-excess puritanism sniping at my edges. At the rate I smoke, I probably have enough bakkie cellared for the rest of my life! I just can't stop... especially when really fantastic newbies keep coming out... and the FDA thang keeps lurking in all our consciouses like the flippin Grim Reaper/Sword Of Damocles! But neither here nor there, this app is just waiting to be filled up!!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ah okay, the free version only allows for 15 items to be stored so I bought the $4.99 version. I really wish they'd just make it an even $5. The .99 cents thing is just so juvenile. I've been recording the cost so that I can look back in a few years and reflect upon the days when you could still buy a tin of tobacco for under $20. Knowing what I've spent is DEF keeping my TAD in check. HOLY CRAP have I blown some money on tobacco!!! I love how it looks as it begins to fill up!

Status
Not open for further replies.