Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys I'm into aromatics big time and still a newbie so what are the best quality aromatic houses? That are known for their quality aromatic pipe tobaccos and and have a lot of them to offer. Thank you again guys :) ( also sucks but gotta put up an exhaust fan in my man cave in the basement to get smell out of room a lil' quicker wife don't know... And neither does landlord :•0 hehehe don't want the smell to stick around in the room a lot. Anyway guys sorry for the rant

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
Thank u as well brother will look into both houses I have Lanes 1Q I will explore more with them

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Boswell's. A father and son team that's been making their own for 40 years.
Of course Lane products are basically what 99% of all tobacconists buy and put in jars with their own names, so there's nothing wrong with any of that.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Pipeworks & Wilke have a number of very high quality aros, too.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Pipeworks & Wilke have a number of very high quality aros, too."
+1 on the venerable firm of Pipeworks & Wilke! Here is a link (Pipeworks & Wilke) to the Tobaccos section of their Website.
Additionally, Brian interviewed Ms. Carole Burns, the company's proprietress, during the August 4, 2015 edition of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show (Brian's Interview of Carole Burns), and you might find what she had to say to be helpful in your search for best-quality aromatic pipe-tobaccos.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Boswell's and Pipeworks & Wilke. Have dealt with and purchased from both shops. Excellent service and product.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
When you say "aromatics" are you referring to (typically second-rate) burleys topped with copious amounts of flavored liquids? In that case best-quality is a moot question. If when you say "aromatics" you mean a natural mixture that has a really nice aroma, then that's a whole nother ballgame.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
2+ on Lane Limited. Aros from very mild to heavy duty but mostly in the mild-medium strength range. If you want people to know you are around, Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce, albeit harder to keep lighted, fits the bill and do a number of this line. Keep in mind that aromatic is a rather vague term in that some of the so-called aros that I smoke are not particularly aromatic.

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
You might want to check out G.L. Pease's The Vanilla Cream. It is due out in a few weeks and sounds like it might be good. He doesn't seem to have much aromatic experience but his description sounds tasty. It'll be fun to compare it to the other Vanilla Creams out there from Mac Baren, Stokkebye and others.
If you don't want to wait, the big aromatic houses are Lane, Stokkebye and Sutliff. I would try a few from each as they each have their own style and you migt end up digging one house more than the others. Pease's blends are normally full blown latakia mixes so it will be interesting to see what his take on an aromatic is.
It's a great time to be an aromatic pipe smoker, looks like all tobacco manufacturers are jumping on the aro bandwagon and some more good aros are bound to result.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I don't think I would shop by house. I would find flavors you like and go to quality blenders, who will do a good job. If I were into aros, I think I'd check out C&D Autumn Evening. Despite the somewhat Thomas Kinkade name, it smells delicious, like a Waffle House with extra syrup. I use a packet of AE to keep a drawer smelling good and every time I open it I get hungry. My tobacco uses does not parallel a need for food, but stimulus of other kinds, so it does not appeal to me but if you like aros, I bet it's a corker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm mostly a non-aromatic smoker, that is, I like mostly blends with no flavorings other than tobacco, and as few other added ingredients such as casings. However, it appears to me after shopping blends for some years that aromatics predominate the market. Nearly all of the larger pipe tobacco blenders, and dozens of smaller ones, feature aromatics conspicuously in their inventory of offerings. That can only mean that it is the high percent of their revenue stream. So I think you pretty much have your run of the brands, just depending on what you like, which in turn means you have to shop a lot, learn a lot, and sample a lot in small quantities to find what you like. In that process, you may also find yourself liking non-aromatic blends. The selection online for both non-aro and aromatics is incredibly expansive. It will take you years to sample even a small segment of the market. This may not seem so helpful, but it gives you perspective on what's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.