PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Recently, I was on Skype with my girlfriend, enjoying one of my pipes. As I often do, I began to ramble, talking about how relaxing I find pipe smoking, and how much I enjoy a fine English blend. My girlfriend laughed, seeing as she gets a kick out of me being a nerd.
"Maybe I'll give it a shot," she said, smiling in a manner that could be taken as coy.
Now, for almost the past year, my girlfriend has dealt with pipes. She got use to the fact that if she wanted to go on a walk around campus, I'd have to have a pipe at hand. But this was the first time she showed even a bit on interest in it.
"Good one! You're a funny girl."

"No, I'm serious. You seem to enjoy it, and you've taken an interest in my hobbies." (Which include not eating meat, plays and other things that are not typically in my circle of usual activities, mind you.)
So I've now charged myself with finding two things. First and foremost, a pipe that would be fitting for a lady. And secondly, a tobacco I believe she will enjoy. I believe I am going to purchase a small churchwarden, seeing as it will be a cooler smoke. If by chance she doesn't take to pipe smoking, the churchwarden will not be a total lose, seeing as I've also been in the market for one.
The tobacco bit is where you charming fellows come in. In my two or so years of pipe smoking, I've mainly dealt in blends heavy in Latakia and English blends. From personally experience, I don't feel as if these will be a good fit for a lady, yet alone a first time smoker. I was thinking of using a blend from the local B&M, which is a black Cavendish, with a very light hint of vanilla. But, I came to you fine gentlemen first, wondering what you would suggest.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
My suggestions for a "start" Lane BCA...Lane 1Q....and or Boswell's Berry cobbler...

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Its hard to go wrong with an aromatic for the ladies. The smell that lingers is very pleasant, even if the taste is a bit perfumy (if thats a word). I think you should buy her a nice carved meerschaum pipe that is elegant, and feminine. So she don't feel like she is engaged in a manly activity. You will be surprised by the negative looks that she gets (granted by the narrow minded), but women car alot about their appearence.

Even if she don't take to it you will have a nice piece to display on your mantel or book case.
(they are not hard to resale).

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
If you want to introduce her gently to a light latakia blend try Shortcut to Mushrooms.

Paladin Black Cherry would be a tasty choice for her.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Regarding a pipe for your Lady, may I suggest you check with Uncle Arthur because a few weeks back he had a churchwarden that was stained to look like a flower and IMO it was a sweat looking pipe.
Regarding tobacco for her to try I have a couple that have already been mentioned and maybe even a couple more that I would be happy to send you samples of if you would like. I have found several blends thanks to friends over the past couple years sending me samples to try and I kind of enjoy paying if forward once in awhile if you know what I mean.
If you're interested, send me a PM with your Name and mailing address and I'll put something in the mail to you by this weekend. :puffy:

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Paladin Back Cherry would be a tasty choice for her

Maybe if she needed cough syrup! If you must try a cherry blend, the only one I get on with is MacB's Cherry Choice. On the off time that my lady smokes a pipe, I find she reaches for Stonehaven, or any of the McC Grand Orientals.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well in my opinion the best aromatic out there is Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice. Connoisseur's Choice is a really good combination flavor wise of tropical fruit, rum, and vanilla. The flavors marry together amazingly and for an aromatic the tobacco burns fairly cool and doesn't give much tongue bite at all. Another aromatic that's really good is McClelland's Premium Aromatic Best of Show. Has a great nougat flavor and the tobacco also hints of a caramel flavoring as well. It doesn't burn too hot either or give much tongue bite. The smell of the tin carries over well into the smoke. I've also heard for a cherry blend CAO's Cherry Bomb is a pretty good.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
If you want to introduce her to aromatics, I would suggest Hearth and Home's Butternut Burley, a very tasty smoke, somewhat reminiscent of pecan pie in both flavour and aroma, or perhaps the ever-present Lane 1Q or BCA...assuming, of course, she has never been a smoker. If she has, I would lean towards more tobacco forward aromatics, Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (mild, sweet Va's) and Peterson University Flake (stong, dark burley) would both fall under this category.
Some nice introductions to Oriental leaf and Latakia can be found in the Sterling Tobacco lines, the My Buddy and Millionaire blends are pretty damned tasty, and won't send people running for the stink. Also from Jack's offerings, Maple Leaf is an easy smoking burley, very mild in both flavour and nicotine content...an easy "starter smoke".

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Thank you all for the advice. I've now got plenty of options to look at, more than I ever expected.
As for public acceptance. Krystal is willing to be out in public with my ugly mug, so I don't think she's to concerned about being accepted.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
@ Baskervilleslady

Nice that you jumped in its nice to have a lady posting.....do join in more often!

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Another lady in the house! What really got me hooked was Blue Note in a tiny little Savinelli Bent Bob. Now I've stolen about 5 or 6 of Shaun's pipes including a gorgeous Stanwell volcano and a briar with a meerschaum bowl.
Shaun - you tell em. I'm having a bad case of CRS tonight. Damn aphasia. I forget everything but the technical term.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Blue Note tobacco is from Altadis and Cyndi has been enjoying Bailey's Best Balkan. There are a few others, but those two are her mainstays so far.
Her pipes are Bent Bob (my very first pipe), SMS meer/briar (sort of a calabash hybrid, lol), Stanwell volcano, Pearwood pipe with ship carved into it, a no name wooden pipe (not sure what kind of wood), and a couple of others that have become shelf pieces to add to decor.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Nording Pointer is just smooth and sweet with a nice aroma , almost like a nice confectioners treat . I would also second the little Bent Bob pipe . :D

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
As to the acceptance, just don't worry what people think. Do what feels right. Hell, most everyone is wrong about just about everything. After my most recent tattoo and haircut my Dad told me that with the next tat, I'd better be driving a Harley. I told him that was fine. I ain't ever seen a poor Harley rider and the haircut makes it easier to get the helmet on. ;) Now Dad is as Down South as they come and even he's come to accept my heathen ways. It's good for people to have their ideas challenged. It's the only way they grow.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
sutlif maple is a nice mild smoke too...
to the lady pipe smokers.... you go girls! i think ladys smoking pipes n cigars is sexy in a naughty sort of way and i wish like hell i could get the warden to smoke one or the other...

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
She did see that Mr. Ville :) but it seems like every other suggestion is for aromatics, strange that for new pipe smokers only aros get recommended. In my own personal pipe smoking experience, aromatics almost turned me off the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.