PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I will be placing an order tomorrow, this is what I have picked out so far and was wondering if anyone had additional recommendations? My favorite blend is Dunhill 965. I'm inexperienced but know I enjoy smoke and spice.
I'm replenishing my supply of these:
Dunhill My Mixture 965

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Dunhill Nightcap

G.L. Pease's Gaslight
I'm thinking of trying:
Lane Crown Achievement

Captain Earle’s Ten Russians
Thanks!

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Looking at your list, I think you would enjoy:
Cornell and Diehl's "Pirate Kake" and "Black House" from pipesandcigars.com

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I am planning on ordering from pipesandcigars.com (I plan on getting a pound of 965). They are back ordered on Pirate Kake but have Black House in bulk and I'll try some, thanks.
edit: I do occasionally like black cavendish and see that Black House has some in it, intriguing!

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
If you like a little cavendish in your smoke, you should try McClelland's "Frog Morton". It strikes a very nice balance between sweet and smokey, in my opinion.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I am a huge fan of Samuel Gawith's blends since I feel that their Virginias are hard to beat, excepting McClelland's Virginias. You may want to try Squadron Leader and Sam's Flake. Squadron Leader is a orientals, Virginias and latakia. Sam's Flake is a oriental forward blend with a little Lakeland topping that dissipates very quickly and Gawith's Virginia.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Of the ones you (OP) listed, Nightcap is the one I smoke. It's now my only Lat blend, no real desire to try any others. Along with a coupld VAs (Royal Yacht and Three Nuns) and a "natural" aro, Erik Stokkebye's 1931, I'm all set. It took me a while to get there though. And I probably will try a few new ones now and then. Enjoy!

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
They are currently back-ordered on Nightcap & EMP so I scaled back my order, (went with 965 and Black House). Thank you all for your recommendations, I'll have to try some of these other blends another time.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
To follow up the Blackhouse:. when I first opened the bag, (bought 2 oz bulk) I thought it had a barnyard smell that was kind of off putting. Now that I've smoked a half dozen bowls over a couple weeks it is quickly becoming the jar I reach for, especially in the evening after work. One thing I was surprised by is the sweetness I get at the tail-end of the bowl. I'll have to smoke more to become further acquainted with its nuances, but it may be a new favorite. Thank you all for the recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.