PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
My friend Martha'a mother is in the hospital. In her mother's room there is a woman, 104 years old, in the other bed. This woman is in for gastro-intestinal problems, but lives in a room at an assisted living facility; she is mentally totally there. She has chewed tobacco all her life and her doctor and the nurses are trying to get her to quit - for her health! She is 104 years old and says she will not quit; chewing tobacco is probably her most enjoyable thing she can do. 104 years old and she should quit for her health....Hhmmmm....

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Let's say the Dr. is 65 - he's telling a person who is 104 what to do for her health? My friend's mother and this lady laff about it in the hospital.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
When Granny (my great-grandmother) was around 8 years old, she was sick constantly and close to death. One of her uncles gave her some chewing tobacco as a last resort and she started to get stronger. She died at 88 years old and only lived by herself that very last year.
I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hmmm....Knowledge without wisdom and common sense....Where have we run into this before?.... :crazy:

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
104 Eh? What brand does she recommend we all start chewing? Does she recommend a shot of scotch as a throat cleanser? I'm 63 years old now. I definitely need another 41 years to sample all the blends on my gotta try list.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
The physician should have asked, "And what brand of smokeless tobacco do you recommend, madam?"
From the useless knowledge department:
Chance of a female living to 104 = about one-half of one percent. Chance of living another year = 60 percent.
Chance of a male living to 104 = about a tenth of one percent. Chance of living another year = 55 percent.

jbmills

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2011
I use to be a respiratory therapist and would always tell my patients that used tobacco to do whatever they enjoy and makes them happy. We literally eat, drink or inhale (just in the air) 100's of things in a day that are worse than tobacco. If you ain't enjoying life might as well be dead anyways.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I'll bet that when that 104 wonderful, tobacco chewing woman finally dies, no matter the reason, the doctor will list it as tobacco related. Being pestered to quit probably adds to her stress, which isn't healthy.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
jbmills - I once did a photo shoot for a man and (pregnant) wife, and the man was a respiratory therapist. He was most worried about the fumes from the printer ink than anything.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I had a great grandmother that lived in the mountains. She was 104 the first and only time I met her and she chewed tobacco also. If you live to be that age you should be able to do what ever you want. The doctors should be bringing her a spitoon to put beside her bed.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
My one dispute with Socrates, knowledge is not virtue, as he proposed.

I have never understood the idea of telling someone whos life is at its end to stop; drinking, smoking, and eating red meat. Honestly do they think any one will live forever, often they place longevity over quality. I don't care if someone snorts asbestos leave them be in the twilight of their years.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
There is much knowledge in the world but very little wisdom is to be found . My wifes grandmother at age 93 used to tell doctors off and drive with one hand on the horn and the other showing the international peace sign . Life is about what brings you happiness , otherwise it is wasted time .

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As age at that point goes I love Sophia's, from the Godlen Girls, viewpoint "Hell I'm on barrowed time here". Yeah I say once you pass life expectancy, as long as you're not hurting anyone else, do whatever the hell you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.