PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
Hey everybody, I was wondering if anyone here has tried using the wine aging accelerators for aging tobacco. With all this talk of cellaring and aging I figure it might be worth a shot. I was skeptical about them but my friend got one for Christmas a few years back and said that it made a big difference with wine. Unfortunately he moved away and I can't try it out on my tobacco.
Has anyone tried one? Is there someone out there already marketing a tobacco version to cash in on the cellaring craze? I'm not sure how they work but my friend says it uses magnets somehow to dramatically speed up the aging process, think days instead of years. I think there are a couple of manufactures doing the wine agers. One uses ultrasonic technology but I don't have any second hand experience with that one.
wine_ager.png

sonic_01.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I can't see how it would apply to tobacco as it's made for liquids, if you want to try and recreate the aging process there is baking tobacco in the oven which will be alot cheaper. Personally I've never done it but some people swear by it, especially with erinmore flake.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
*scratches his head*
Was thinking it was meant as humor... or I hope so. 8O

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I fail to see how a magnetic field would improve the flavor of wine. If you want to accelerate the aging of tobacco build yourself a little hot box. Use a heat source such as a light bulb and a thermostat ( a water heater T-stat will do fine). Put your tins into the box, set the temp for 95F and come back in month. The issue I see is that tobacco in tins is already aged. Most of the people that are putting tobacco in the oven are doing so at a much higher temp and for a much shorter period. The oven method is not aging the tobacco per say it is changing the chemical profile of the leaf ( that can't be done at the lower temps used for aging).
You could always buy some big Gauss magnets and play around. Try some tobacco in a "+" field and some in a "-" field. I did that with sunflowers one year and the results were amazing.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Or maybe - just maybe - avoid the cultural imperative towards instant gratification,and do it the old-fashioned way - put that tin or mason jar in your cupboard or wherever, and wait 5 years. :puffy:

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Magnets won't do anything for wine or tobacco. Magnets also won't do anything worn around your wrist, neck, back or in your shoes.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
[/quote]
Or maybe - just maybe - avoid the cultural imperative towards instant gratification,and do it the old-fashioned way - put that tin or mason jar in your cupboard or wherever, and wait 5 years.
I don't know Jud, that's some pretty dangerous thinking. Worlds will collide :rofl:
edit:what's up with quote function lately?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Reminds me of those tape strips you put on the bottom of your feet overnight to remove toxic heavy metals from your body. Turns out the only thing they remove is green paper from your bank account!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea I tried the baking on Squadron Leader bulk...unfortunately it made me realize that Hana's Wilderness had been mixed and then stoved or placed in a oven for a time. Which kind of ruined Wilderness for me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
what's up with quote function lately?
What's it doing? It looks for a bunch of stuff between start and end tags. If the order is reversed, it assumes they're regular text and ignores them.
[/quote]

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm doing what I have always done. I copy the quote, hit "quote", paste the quote, then hit "quote" again. Sometimes it works, other times I get what you see above. No one ever accused me of being a computer genius.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
The beginning of a quote will look like [ quote ] (without spaces).
The end quote signature is [ /quote ] (also no spaces). I took one computer class in high school and that's what I took from it. The forward slash represents an end to a starter tag, such that when you start a tag, type your information, then end that tag, you'll effectively isolate it from any other text.
On to the main point-- if I wanted to age tobacco faster, the first thing I would think about would be to use something which oxidizes everything. That element would be oxygen. I am unsure of how magnets would help any oxidation as magnetic fields are independent of atmosphere. If you managed to find an airtight container within which you can seal pure oxygen, I'd be interested in seeing results from such a project.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Cultural imperative"? Didn't know we had a culture anymore. I kind of thought we were all just holding hands and circling the drain.

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
As far as aging goes, I don't see how heat I know Hanna talks about cooking tins of tobacco for a couple hours at 200 degrees but that really isn't really aging, it's cooking. Totally different. If you put a cut of beef in the oven at 200 for four hours, you are not going to get the same result of dry aging it for 28 days. It is going to be cooked. Same with wine. Throwing a bottle in the oven isn't going to age it.
Now oxidizing is a little more interesting but I don't think it hits the mark. If I pump reactive ozone into a tobacco jar, there will be oxidation but I also think that the tobacco is going to lose its flavor and aroma based on my experiments with ozone in other fields.
A lot of tobacco agers seem to think that some sort of anaerobic conditions are required for the aging process to take place. Just read the countless posts that say if you open the mason jar to sample the tobacco, you will halt the aging process. Then again others say that some oxygen is required and that if you vacuum seal the tobacco in a mylar bag with a Food Saver type device aging of the tobacco will not take place.
With respect to the devices pictured above obviously the ultrasonic device needs the aging media to be a fluid to work, but the magnetic type of ager would theoretically work by realigning the particles within the tobacco. Like I said my friend swears by it for wine.
Another thing that might be interesting to intensify tobacco flavor and intensity might be pyramid storage. I rememember back in the day people used pyramid power to enhance the flavor of foods, the potency of marijuana, and increase their inner power and psychic strength. I realize that using pyramids won't necessarily age the tobacco, it may intensify the aroma and flavor and might boost the effectiveness of the nicotine. This I will build and experiment with in the field of tobacciology. I believe that the pyramids work similar to the magentic wine agers but channel the earth's magnetic field through the pyramid, so realigning and aging may also take place.
10_inch_kit_box.jpg

pyramid-assembly1.jpg

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Magnets won't do anything for wine or tobacco. Magnets also won't do anything worn around your wrist, neck, back or in your shoes
Ever hear of an MRI?
I get your point though... Buying cheap magnets ( usually through multi-level marketing scams) and expecting them to have some biological effect is a waste of money.
As far as a pyramid you'll also be wasting money. Even if a pyramid device could "concentrate" the earth's magnetic field, so what? What is the strength of the earths field these days? 1/2 a Gauss?
Just go out and buy a 5000 Gauss magnet if you want to experiment.

I did it with sunflowers and the results were incredible.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Ever hear of an MRI?
I've developed magnets for MRIs. My colleagues just broke the world record with over 100Tesla fields.
No double blind experiment has ever shown any effect of a permanent magnetic on human health, aging wine, etc.

And while I'm happy that your sunflowers are magnificent it was not because of a high quality magnet. Sorry lets just be brothers of briar and agree to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.