PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
As someone noted a few days ago, if you want accurate time, buy a Casio. Uner $100, and it will be accurate within seconds a month--far more accurate than a Rolex. On the other hand, if you want a nice piece of jewelry to place on your wrist, one that will give you the time to within a few minutes every month, there are many options, with prices ranging into the astronomical. But--and here's the biggie: they will not be as accurate as your Casio, and there are some solid engineering reasons for that.
Good God man - A Casio? Let's not carry this to extremes, lol.
In all seriousness, though, as a watch collector, I do agree that if you want to tell time accurately there is nothing wrong with a quartz watch. However, if what appeals to you is the century old tradition of a fine time piece with a true mechanical movement, then that is a different attraction entirely.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Totally true, you can get in the "zone" just the same with a cob and some drug store as with anything else.

Jan 8, 2013
Great post Bradley. If I were to say I didn't wish when I see one of those beautiful $1000.00+ pipes that I could have something so magnificent, I'd be lying. Heck... I see $300.00 pipes that I wish and dream for. But then I look at the pipes I have, and I love every single one of them. Some of my pipes may not be worth that much, but to me they are. And some of them really are very nice looking pipes. And they smoke just fine. I'm sure over the years, I'll be able to acquire more pipes, and perhaps even come up with enough money to purchase something a bit more high dollar than what I've spent on pipes before (I hope! LOL). But I'm willing to bet my other pipes will always be cherished, whether I'm rich or poor. I was gifted a churchwarden for Christmas from a family member. It's nothing fancy. The only markings on it is the word Italy. The grain is nothing spectacular for sure, but it still looks kind of nice, and it has a decent sized bowl and it feels comfortable in the hand. I understand it may or may very well not be a good smoker. But I'm hoping it comes along. It does have good thick walls and is very light. And even if it ends up not being a good smoker, I'm still going to cherish it. :)

goodsmokejd

Lurker
Dec 26, 2013
Nice post. I will take that advice, as I haven't even gotten my first pipe yet. I am a cigar smoker about to dive into pipe smoking as I have always wanted to give it a try. So reading these forums is a great tool for me to see what and what not to do.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Anthony: You voiced my sentiments a bit better than I did. I'm happy with the meers, but I'm always looking at the displays when I'm in a town with a tobacconist. I always visit Peterson when in Dublin, looking and hoping to find a "find."

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
The trouble with most people is that they WANT too much. Bigger car, bigger home, more toys. Be satisfied as Bradley suggests and you'll live longer and happier.

Go pet your dog.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Old Cajun, Thanks for the words of wisdom and they apply not only to pipes but all areas of life... :puffpipe: We must count our blessings.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Bradley,

Those are my sentiments exactly to the word. Thanks for the common sense and words of experience.

Regarding another quote from an old dear departed hunting friend he always said "get yourself a $50. gun and a $500. dog if you want some great hunting. In different perspective, a cob and a huge stash of tobacco can be as enjoyable as any extravagant pipe and only an ounce of leaf. :D

And your Winchester Model 12 is the finest duck gun ever made unless you prefer an old double like an Elsie!

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thanks for your wisdom and insight Mr. Bradley. I for one have been doing some changing in the way I think about my pipes and tobacco. Your insight puts it back into a good perspective.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Great post, thanks. I was looking over my pipes the other day. I am very pleased with them all. I know that the artisan pipes may give me a different smoking experience but I am satisfied with what I have now. I am content with them. Perhaps one day I will have myself a Walt Cannoy or a Rad Davis, but for now my little cobs and basket briars bring me much satisfaction.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Me thinks Old Cajun doesn't shop at those fancy grocery stores but at Hebert's in Maurice. Si bon? 8)

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
scrapyardape said:

Ok. I'll put my quest for a gold-plated Dunhill carved

out of mammoth ivory by virgins during the second full

moon of a leap year on hold for now.
You're so easily distracted ... if it comes down to just you and me goin' after the last gold-plated Dunhill, carved from mammoth ivory by virgins during the second full moon of a leap year I can point off to one side and say "Hey, what's that over there?" ... I can count on you fallin' for it and turning your head while asking "Where? ... I don't see anything" ...
Don't be too surprised if by the time you look back, both the last gold-plated Dunhill, carved from mammoth ivory by virgins during the second full moon of a leap year and I are long gone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.