PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I just got back from my local B&M (picked up some pipe cleaners) and there were a couple of gentlemen there sampling some house blends and I noticed that they were using a tobacco grinder. I asked them about it and they said it makes everything from drying your tobacco too packing,lighting,tamping and cleaning your pipe a little bit easier. I personally have never used a grinder. How does everyone feel about their notion?
John

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My opinion is that grinding tobacco should be illegal. I would never do it and do not recommend it unless you want a really hot smoke. There is a reason that a blender chooses a certain cut. It is to produce the best possible smoke for the types of tobacco in that specific blend. Everyone is free to do as they choose of course, but grinders are for coffee and Peruvian Marching Powder.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
grinders are for coffee and Peruvian Marching Powder.
Well said Harris. I will cube cut a flake/brick, but if I am smoking a tin of ribbon cut it gets packed into the bowl and enjoyed the way the blender intended.

Aug 14, 2012
Grinders are submarine sandwiches in Mass. They are also women who remove their clothes for a living.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Never even heard of using a tobacco grinder. Does not sound like a good idea. It always amazes me when lay people think they know more than the experts.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I always thought tobacco grinders were the euphamistic invention of the Mary Jane cabal, bent on tobacco shop domination.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
| They are also women who remove their clothes for a living.

Now that's the type of grinder I wouldn't mind checking out... :twisted:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Back to the original posters post: Have you ever noticed, "They Travel in Pairs"...

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I don't let grinders near my tobacco. foggy, oh the submarine sandwich has so many regional names!

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Sounds like another one of those things. You know the ones that people do or talk about, and there are opinions about it.

Its one of those gadgety ideas that someone had, and made a small fortune , like Flow Bee, and Salad Shooter. Its for lazy people who dont care to learn hoto do something. Trying to turn a craft into something anyone can do at anytime with out fail.

Jul 12, 2011
IMHO- A flake or other crumble kakes should be lightly processed

so my flakes are just cube cut or fold/rip/stack/stuff and crumble

Kakes are lightly rubbed... Gravity fill and you are good to go

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Sounds like they used to roll their own cigs, moved onto pipes and still use the grinder in the process because they think that packing a pipe and a cigarette are the same exact concept!

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Actually, as someone who did hand rolled cigs for a few years, I never used a grinder. Most don't in fact. The mass market stuff is overprocessed, and the better stuff is cut to roll (Stokkebye, Drum, et aliquid). Please put my vote in the "I though that was for pot, please don't let it near my tobacco" column. o)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Now that I think about it, I used to use a coffee grinder to grind my flakes when I first started smoking those, boy I sure came a long way!

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
The only thing I grind is black pepper.
Foggymountain, submarines are also called grinders here in Connecticut. Do they still call milk shakes "cabinets" in Mass.?

Status
Not open for further replies.