PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
No, this isn't an "I'm leaving post". I just wanted to rant a little bit about how stupid people are. Kids are getting suspended from school for using their hands as pretend guns and I just read where a kindergarten in Michigan is banning the game tag and all running related games. When does it stop? What's it gonna look like ten years from now? I remember going to hunters education in the seventh grade and they let us shoot clays with a twenty gauge and shoot targets with a twenty two. Today that would be considered child endangerment. It just pisses me off. I guess at 38 I'm starting to be an old codger.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
you are far from an old codger and it is not at all abnormal to wish for better days, but we have to put in the effort to return to those better days instead of just bending over and taking it from every kook that thinks they know what's good for us better than we do.
Edited for content: L.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It's not the BS that's the problem. It's the PCS(Politically Correct Shit)...

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Schools have definitely become "police states" since I graduated in 1997. Every school in my town is fenced up like a prison.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My Father taught me how to shoot a 22 when I was 9 years old.That was a really long time ago though,and we lived in the country.I wonder though if these days boys aren't growing up with no idea of what manliness is other than sitting on a sofa watching a game while they suck up some Buds.All they want kids to do is sit.Then they wonder why they're over weight.

Aug 1, 2012
An option you may want to consider is not handing your children over to government schools. It's hard work, but the most important work you will ever do.
I'm gonna go off topic a bit here, sorry. If this is too political, look away.
Many of you know my profession so know that I'm stepping out of it for this. If you do decide to go the homeschool route, know what you're getting into and don't go at it with less than 110% of your effort, dedication and time because this won't just be your job but it has to be your passion, your commitment and your life! Many who go that way do not realize that you have to be the entire school system for you kid. You don't just buy a package and sit the kid in front of a screen as I've seen happen. You have to plan every minute of instruction and tirelessly search for not only the perfect curriculum, but all the things that need to be added to that curriculum. You have to be the math teacher, the science teacher, the history teacher and all other teachers in a school combined. You have to plan field trips, get the kid all the "extras" like art and music lessons as well as make sure the physical activities and sports are included...none of these can be left out. You have to make sure to do the standardized testing to make sure your instruction is succeeding and adjust if it is not. You have to worry and fear and shed tears that you might not be doing enough because this is not about you but about your child and his/her future so you best not f*ck it up.
If you aren't willing to do any part of the above, don't even consider it. If you are, know it will be the hardest thing you've ever done...and it can be so rewarding. Be willing to be the inspiration and the driving force because nobody will be there to clean up if you fail. You'll have to be better than you ever imagined. My mother was, and I thank her for it every day.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Don't mean to keep this heading off track, but, well, here we go.
We home school our kids and I can say that they make me proud multiple times a week. Our oldest is in third grade and is reading at a seventh grade level. His brother is in first grade and he's not far behind him. All of our kids are respectful and willing to help with the chores around the house. They absolutely jump at the chance to help with projects whether it be making firewood or raking leaves. (enough bragging, sorry)

Home schooling goes way further than academics. It is life training. As a home schooling parent you are always looking for those "teachable moments". Figuring out the tip at a restaurant. Explaining why there are so many ships going down the Columbia River. Teaching them why a jet leaves a contrail. It really keeps you thinking which is a good thing.

Our neighbor across the street was giving me his opinion about home schooled kids. It was based on the, "They'll be socially awkward" fallacy. (there are weird kids in public school too) The whole time he was saying this, his grandson (8ish) was running around bullying the other kids at his house acting like a complete lunatic. I figured if that's what "normal" is, I'll choose socially awkward any day.

Of course I need to give all the credit to my wife for taking it as a serious job. It's her first priority and she doesn't take it lightly at all.
Apologies for not keeping on topic here.
Edit:I should add that my wife and I are both products of the public school system and we don't look down on anyone who chooses that route. Home schooling certainly does not fit everyone's lifestyle.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
When I was growing up, I was taught how to shoot a gun, and how to use a gun properly, never point a weapon at anyone, hunter's safety course. I'm 53 and havn't shot a gun in probably 25-30 years, but I remember being taught to respect a gun. Now I'm not preaching, or advocating how anyone should raise their children. However in today's world kids are given access to violent video games and movies and no one seems to care. I remember being at a freinds house a few years ago, a Vietnam veteran, and his son played one of these video games for hours. I was nonplussed, and remember asking my freind how he could expose his son to this unreal, desensatizing violence, when he had seen the real thing!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
inteus wrote: "If/when I have kids, they'll probably go to private school so they can get a real education."
inteus ... based on your '97 graduation, you are about the same age as one of my sons ... he has a 6 year old daughter and has chosen to go the private school route for many of the same reasons that have been cited in this thread. He actually has even more reasons since his MIL is a public school teacher and he has a birds eye view of what is going on currently to contrast with his own experience in public schools ...

waywardverve

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
i'm 18 and live in a nanny state (Australia)... As a Thoroughbred Irish heritage Catholic I 100% support the abolition of PC-BS (PC bull shite).
When I have kid's they'll be home-schooled and hopefully I can find a small property... Maybe even grow my own illegal tobacco seeing as here in Aus it'll probably be illegal anyway.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 Puffy! I've been shooting since I was big enough to hold a gun steady! And you're right, a lot of young "men" have no idea what it means to be a man these day! I'm 30 years old, and half or more of the guys I went to school with are out of work video gamers, with multiple kids being supported by their wives! It disgusts me to no end!

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Hey guys, just to put my two pence in. y

Over the last 10 years a lot has been said about the "Playstation generation" how they wouldn't amount to much as they have had there minds turned to mush from playing ultra-violent video games.

This is the generation that has seen the most war fighting since America was in Vietnam and the UK was fighting in WW2.

It shows how even when the human mind is left to rot for 18 years, given the right impetus it can recover and become as sharp and as useful once put under the right pressures.

Status
Not open for further replies.