Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
i'm 18 and live in a nanny state (Australia)
Wasn't Australia founded as criminal convent? Sorry if my history is off but I've always understand Austria to be a wonderful and free place so I am sorry to read that they may be a little head of America (in a sad way). I agree 10000% with the OP that it gets down right depressing to see this nonsense. Like the girl who wore an NRA hunting shirt and said that it promotes gun violence. It sure does.. for the deer among us. The thinking essentially says that if you hunt, or support the NRA, you support criminals killing people. People seem to have lost their dang minds. Why are there not more level headed and smart people like Dr. Benjamin Carson out there? Where oh where has our minds gone?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I started parochial school in the late 1950's. The nuns taught us manners and respect ofr others s well as our other traditional lessons. When any adult entered the classrom we all stood up. We boys were expected to open doors for others. Talking back got us a crack with the ruler and if our parents got word of it we got a smack across the backside when we got home.

Parenting is a full time job but many today are OK with the schools and public authorities taking that role.

And if I never hear the words "That's not fair" again it'd be OK with me.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I went to a public school was a small on so not near as bad. We actually had a school shooting. (Richland School lynnville TN for you Google fans. I was in the 5th grade. In the 7th did hunter safety at the same school and shot clay disks on the football field as a final exam type deal. Richland understood the gunman was insane and had nothing to do with the guns. Shooting under supervision at school. People might wet themselves at just reading that.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
WARNING WARNING OFF TOPIC
Wasn't Australia founded as criminal convent?
Yes all the Nuns caught stealing were sent to Australia.
I've always understand Austria to be a wonderful and free place
Me too I really love their mountains and fresh air.
However, Australia was a prisoner colony but that was 100's of years ago.
Back on topic
Australians are so laid back (or were) that they have passively and apathetically sat back and watched as legislation after legislation has been passed to remove common sense and responsibility from their hands. They watch as their rights are removed and their country sold underneath them. They watch as the great barrier reef is dredged to make way for a 'super port' to export coal.
Australia is as bad in some areas as the states and the UK and worse in others we just suck in different areas.
Globally though the theme is the same basically it's 'don't think. that's what corporations and the government is here for'
Boo hiss. Rant rant rant
rant.gif

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Concerning "Home Schooling" Senator Harry Reid once famously said:

"Home schooling is not a way to avoid what some people are incorrectly calling indoctrination. Your children do not belong to you, they belong to the community, they belong to the state."

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm 30 and I agree with the OP. I think we are going to be raising a paralyzed generation.
My friend and I were just talking the other day about how many kids we want to have- just because we think, as fathers, we are going to need to pour into our kids like never before in the hopes they don't end up completely corrupt by our ever-increasingly odd US. We just don't know how many kids we can have and pay really good attention to.
Now, they'll probably still end up weird because we are their dads, but we can pretend we tried :)

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Amen to private schooling, a good education was one of the many gifts from my parents to my brother and I. I don't know about homeschooling, but I'm determined that my kids will not go to public school.

Also, being at a college that doesn't accept ANY federal funding (even including government student loans) is great.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, my oldest daughter just made me smile. She just turned 29 an was no angel when she was in HS. She just commented on her facebook about a recent story where a group of HS kids broke into the home of an NFL player in NY. Those parents apparently blamed the kid who turned them in and the NFL player who owned the home. My daughter wrote this comment, her language is a still a little salty..:

This. This is so true. I remember a lifetime ago when I got into some pretty big trouble - and my mom and dad drug me to every house I babysat for and made me explain and apologize. My parents would have never DREAMED of turning the punishment onto someone else for my stupid, teenage actions. Ugh. COME ON WORLD. GET IT TOGETHER. HOLD YOUR CHILDREN RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND STOP TURNING THEM INTO WHINY PUSSIES JUST LIKE YOURSELVES!

Aug 1, 2012
Oh boy, here I go again...sorry.
NEWS FLASH!!! Private school isn't automatically better and it's no magic bullet. If you're looking for the easy way to get a good education for your kids, you shouldn't have had them in the first place...nothing in raising your kids right is "easy". Automatically tossing something out is no better than blindly accepting it. If you aren't doing extensive research on the school you are considering vs your local public schools, you are doing no better of a job educating your kids than the legion that send their students "blindly" to public schools. Many private schools do a worse job than a public school and many do better, the only way you're going to know is to make sure you've done your research and you choose the best option based on it.
Now I'm not saying not to send them to a private school, I'm saying to research all your options and choose the one you deem best for your kids and realize that nobody but you is responsible for making that hard decision.
EDIT: Good for your daughter Al.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Well said captainsousie. My wife is a teacher. Although I don't like handing my children over to the government, home schooling is something that I could not personally do. Although it is a government job, there are some fantastic teachers out there that are that are very passionate about their profession. I was lucky enough to have a couple of teachers K-12 that have impacted my life in great ways. For that I am very thankful.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I won't comment because those who have an idea of what I'm talking about know that I have already made my comment.

LOL! Say What? I don't think anyone would know WTF you're talkin' bout.

images

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've posted this in the past, but worthy of reposting imo, and fits right in here.
8 Differences Between the 1950s and Now (primarily school related scenarios)
http://listverse.com/2007/10/26/8-differences-between-the-1950s-and-now/

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
My empirical observation has been that home schooled students are invariably better prepared for learning at the collegiate level than students that went to public school. To a large extent this is because the former has not been afflicted by the damage perpetrated on the latter. Cognitive development involves both knowledge acquisition and development of reasoning formalism ( critical thinking, quantitative reasoning, etc.). However the focus of public education, at least in GA, has focused on passing standardized tests. Hence students are only taught material necessary to get through the test, not the content to any real depth; and certainly only at the lowest levels of Bloom's taxonomy. What is worse, they are indoctrinated into a faulty learning method of memorize, regurgitate, and forget. Believing that to be normal retards their willingness to accept substantially more effective methods of learning presented in college.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Unfortunately, political correctness renders us incapable of serious purpose when discussing more fully the problem of government schools, and our culture more broadly.
But, kashmir, yes. Sadly. Some of us are still out there trying to protect a little slice for our families, but I think we all know it's a losing battle. The best we can do is hope to preserve some heritage in out progeny, some small sliver of which they may pass down to theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.