PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
oh that actually isn't too bad... I went to my B&M today and used my nail, everyone stared at me at first and then complimented me on finding something that works for me!

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
First- consider stiching your pockets, as you are probably missing loose change as well. Second- keep one with your keys, for all your travels. Third- place one in each vehicle(I keep one in the dash vent) one in each room you spend time in.........or buy a box of nails,just be gentle with the tip.
I do hope this has helped.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
The other way of not losing them, of course, is to buy a 100 pack and go around your home hammering them into convinient spots where you are most likely to use a tamper!!!

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Though they are called "Czech pipe tools", I will bet you a pound of Lane 1-Q that they are made in China or Hong Kong.
czpt3600.jpg

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I have 2 czech tools, one on my keys the other I keep in my tobacco pouch. I have the same habit of loosing small items so I keep them attached to larger things.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I remember my grandfather using everything he could get his hands on including his index finger, pens, pencils, chap stick tubes, and old spent .308 cartridge and once in a while a pipe nail. I would constantly come across charred objects all over his house and remember my grandma yelling at him for ruining thing around the house in the name of tamping his pipe.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
....you aren't using them to sculpt, but the lead paint chips may become an issue.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Yep, a WOODEN golf tee (not the plastic kind) makes a great tamper in a pinch, and they are cheap (I think... I'm not a golfer, I just find one occasionally.)
Anyway, I hardly ever lose a 95-cent aluminum pipe nail. I always have one in the change pocket of my pants, and scattered around the house in various match striker/holders. I don't know how many my dad accumulated... they gave you one in every pouch of Half & Half years ago and I still have many of them.
I prefer the pipe nail to the Czech tool because you don't have to unfold it, and I hardly ever have to use the pick.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah I have to agree with Jimbo on my preference for the pipe nail as opposed to the Czech tool. I have been smoking a pipe for 14 years and I have yet to ever have a use for that pick thing that is on Czech tools and other tampers. All I need is a flat end to tamp with and a paddle end to scoop with. What do you guys use that pick for anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.