PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Although it took awhile to get used to using the rubber bits, I now really like them but have a small problem with some. (BTW, had I used rubber tips 30 years ago I could have saved a lot of money but that's another topic altogether).
The problem I have is that one size doesn't fit all. The rubber bits fit nicely on my larger (wider) stems but are loose on the smaller stems leaving a gap between bit and stem and/or allowing the bits to slide down the stem while smoking.
Does anyone know of a way to make them fit tighter on the smaller stems? Or, do you know where I might order smaller bits?

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
You can buy them on ebay in 9mm and 12mm. First thing I do with a new pipe after cleaning is fitting it with the tightest rubber bit I can fit onto it. The tighter, the better.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Another solution is to use heat shrink tubing for a more "custom" fit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ae1pt, the yuck factor with softie bits is more of a problem with fewer pipes, where a pipe gets smoked every two or three

days. I hope most pipe smokers have enough pipes to rest them at least a day -- MM cobs solve this problem in a hurry.

Even in a big rotation, the softies and any bits on pipes should be watched to make sure they stay clean. A good polish

after each smoke, and appropriate cleaning from time to time should solve the problem. A good smoke is like a good meal.

You want it to be appetizing and properly presented. No crud, please.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
The silicon wrap that you can buy at NAPA or Walmart works fairly well too. Easy to get a tight fit, just watch where your seam winds up.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Just received soft bit which I got from ebay 10 for 1 buck include shipping.

It has various size in a pack plus Silver Screens.

I don't know what is it use for. Anybody have experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.