PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Foggy has had one. I've had a couple of Mercs. No out of the ordinary problems with either of them. And, the after market, at least up here, is head and shoulders above the so called "big three", Fiat, GM and Ford. I suggest a lemon shouldn't taint an entire line. I can't complain about my F-150's either, just the after market care. Such is why I have a trusted "shade tree" mechanic.

The most positive thing I can say about Benz is, a complaint to the USA office gets the local vendor in line fairly quickly. The dealership up here recently changed hands and the after market was dismal. A couple of phone calls and suddenly customer satisfaction, not number of vehicles sold, is of paramount concern. I like that.

Reactions: Bengel and jpmcwjr

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Go to any car forum and you will find anecdotal evidence about duds of all brands and models of cars since Ford T.

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I wanted a 300SL since 1954, finally decided to get one as a second car. That is why I got the 550. But Mercedes junked it up and ruined it with a computer. The car had other faults as well. You could feel the casting seam on the driver's door handle. That is absolutely unacceptable on an expensive car. I don't care that much about longevity because I am approaching age 80, but they couldn't even make a car that would work right for 1 1/2 years.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'foggy, I liked the idea of your buying that Mercedes, it sounded so luxurious and pleasing to drive and showboat. Maybe you did discover the car of your dreams ... your Explorer! Happy driving, quality time.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Rear wheel drive useless in the snow!"

Worked fine for me. Right tires and technique, I drove patrol cars and personal vehicles for many years that were rear wheel drive through Alaskan snows and ice. Now, I do find studs a waste of money and time with today's tire construction. Also, front wheel drive vehicles. 4WD and AWD are all right if you know how to handle snow and ice. If you don't ... they just get you in deeper.

One of my guys did address McQueen on a DUI charge. He caught him showing a friend that one could indeed turn a "brodie" in a Toronado. You kids will have to look that one up. Steve's mug shot can still be found on the net I believe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
"Rear wheel drive useless in the snow!"

Worked fine for me. Right tires and technique, I drove patrol cars and personal vehicles for many years that were rear wheel drive through Alaskan snows and ice. Now, I do find studs a waste of money and time with today's tire construction. Also, front wheel drive vehicles. 4WD and AWD are all right if you know how to handle snow and ice. If you don't ... they just get you in deeper.

One of my guys did address McQueen on a DUI charge. He caught him showing a friend that one could indeed turn a "brodie" in a Toronado. You kids will have to look that one up. Steve's mug shot can still be found on the net I believe.
Yes Sir, I have been driving rear wheel cars all of my adult life ,sometimes even without snow tires,and all year around,as saying goes.practise makes expert''

I drive a rear wheel drive with Summer Tires. I drive it all through the winter with no problems, probably because the summer tires is one and half times wider than average. I try to avoid driving in the snow and ice - but it is not always possible to borrow my wife’s car. I have driven it a few times on snow and ice. I was scared, but the car was confident.

German Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.