PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It might be interesting to create a cross reference of Dunhill blends and the most similar GLP blend. I would bet that there’s a blend in the GLP portfolio that aligns fairly well with all of the Dunhills.

Most of the Dunhill blends are coarser and sharper in flavor than I prefer. Greg’s stuff has more finesse IMO. Still happy that the Dunhills are back even if I won’t be smoking them.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Quiet Nights is different enough that I don't find it to be a close match to Nightcap; however, there does seem to be a Dunhill connection with a number of Pease blends. For the Old London series he has written that his original idea was to create a series of blends that were connected to time of day:

"I’d originally had it in mind to create blends that seemed appropriate for different times of day. Chelsea Morning, for enjoyment with the morning coffee, Afternoon Tea for later in the day, Cocktail Hour for a nice interlude before dining, and Quiet Nights for the relaxation of the evening, the final puffs before retiring. Sounds good. But, it’s turning out not to be so easy."

It's clearly a Dunhill-like concept, (i.e. Early Morning Pipe, Mixture 965, Apertif, and Nightcap).

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I ended up getting a tin of Quiet Nights in my last order and I certainty do enjoy it more now than I did as a beginner. I really think it does a nice job as a final smoke of the evening. I love that interplay of musty, spicy, smokey and a growing strength throughout the bowl.

Still not sure I like it as much as Blackpoint, another stellar Lat+Perique blend that resides on the sweeter side. Both are winners in my book.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've been a Blackpoint fan from the first moment I tried it. It's one of those blends that's really great but doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. I love Quiet Nights too, but it took a bit longer. The first tin I had was absolutely flat. Maybe not enough age.... In any event, I've better luck with it since then. I now feel both are among Pease's best blends.

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Quiet Nights is different enough that I don't find it to be a close match to Nightcap; however, there does seem to be a Dunhill connection with a number of Pease blends. For the Old London series he has written that his original idea was to create a series of blends that were connected to time of day:

"I’d originally had it in mind to create blends that seemed appropriate for different times of day. Chelsea Morning, for enjoyment with the morning coffee, Afternoon Tea for later in the day, Cocktail Hour for a nice interlude before dining, and Quiet Nights for the relaxation of the evening, the final puffs before retiring. Sounds good. But, it’s turning out not to be so easy."

It's clearly a Dunhill-like concept, (i.e. Early Morning Pipe, Mixture 965, Apertif, and Nightcap).

Never thought of that. Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.