PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've loved Nightcap for years, and have been looking forward to the opportunity to buy more ever since we got the news about Peterson rereleasing the Dunhill blends. The news of the rerelease and the beginning of the change of seasons to Fall got me thinking about my latakia blends and digging them out of the cellar recently.

Over the past week, I've smoked several bowls of tinned Nightcap, bulk Nightcap, as well as G.L. Pease's Quiet Nights (which is his take on Nightcap for any who might be unaware). I was mainly doing this as an experiment to test between bulk and tinned versions of Nightcap, and I just tossed Quiet Nights in there for good measure. The result on tinned vs. bulk Nightcap is that some of the flavor nuances are more pronounced in the tinned version, particularly the orientals. However, the bulk version is very close, and to my taste, the latakia notes and perique are the same between the tinned and bulk versions of Nightcap.

The surprise in this experiment was the Quiet Nights. I am surprised to say that I am strongly favoring Quiet Nights over Nightcap. I do not think it's intended to be a Nightcap match, but it's definitely in the same ballpark, and plays the game even better than the STG Dunhill blends IMO. This is my first tin of Quiet Nights, and I bought it last year, tried a few bowls, thought it was okay, then jarred it. I first tried Quiet Nights hoping it would be essentially a super premium Nightcap. I think my expectations hampered my ability to appreciate it, but now that I've revisited it without any real expectations, I absolutely love it! There are certain almost incense-like notes that really just push Quiet Nights onto a higher level for me. I also get more of a plum-figgy taste than in Nightcap, which makes me suspect that Quiet Nights uses darker Virginias as compared to Nightcap, and/or that Quiet Nights might contain just a little more perique.

When the remainder of my tin of Quiet Nights runs out I will be ordering more, and if I continue to enjoy it anywhere near as much as I have recently, I will make it a staple latakia blend in my cellar, along with Balkan Supreme, Westminster, Nightcap, and White Knight. I've got five pounds or so of Nightcap in my cellar, and will probably forego any more purchases of Nightcap to stock up on Quiet Nights before the 2021 deeming regulations kick in.

Last edited:

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I've read that QN were created as an homage to the original Nightcap, not a STG version.
Pipestud right now has a 2014 8oz tin available. It's smooooooooooooooth)))

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've read that QN were created as an homage to the original Nightcap, not a STG version.
Pipestud right now has a 2014 8oz tin available. It's smooooooooooooooth)))

I know I'll be wanting to smoke a lot of Quiet Nights in the upcoming months, so I just went ahead and ordered two 8 oz. tins from SP, along with some other G.L. Pease blends I've been wanting to try - Jackknife Plug and Union Square.

I would love to try the original Dunhill pre-Murray's Nightcap out of curiosity, but if I ever come across such a tin I'm sure it would sell for a killing, and who knows how well a latakia blend of that age would smoke assuming that it survived in the tin without turning to zombie dust. I'll be perfectly happy to fill my pipe with Quiet Nights puf

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Sounds like my wife recounting our dating period...

:LOL:

Well I'm happy that the Quiet Nights stuck around in my tobacco cellar until I learned to appreciate it, rather than it running off with some other pipe smoker. I imagine your wife understands that sentiment puf

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
lawdawg, I agree. I have some bulk NC that is good. But, I like to mix in some QN to bring it NC back up to what I remember NC being back in the 90's when I initially started smoking a pipe.

It's a great tobacco worth stocking up on.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Nightcap was one of the first latakia blends I truly enjoyed but going into Quite Nights with no prior expectations made me fall in love with it immediately. I agree the bulk Nightcap is close to the tinned version but just a little more rounded off and mellow.

On a different note, I wonder if the new Peterson Dunhill blends will be released in bulk at all?

Reactions: kens and danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All blends change somewhat from year to year with different crops of tobacco and different sourcing, so some variance in experience will occur. I see Dunhill blends as I knew them over the years, notable for some consistency and usually fulsome in flavor. I have less experience with GL Pease, but my general sense is that he is gentler and more subtle in his blends. I think of them in a different genre.

Reactions: kens and danimalia
Oct 7, 2016
I know I'll be wanting to smoke a lot of Quiet Nights in the upcoming months, so I just went ahead and ordered two 8 oz. tins from SP, along with some other G.L. Pease blends I've been wanting to try - Jackknife Plug and Union Square.

I would love to try the original Dunhill pre-Murray's Nightcap out of curiosity, but if I ever come across such a tin I'm sure it would sell for a killing, and who knows how well a latakia blend of that age would smoke assuming that it survived in the tin without turning to zombie dust. I'll be perfectly happy to fill my pipe with Quiet Nights puf
Assuming proper storage, a Murray’s era tin of Nightcap should be just fine.

Reactions: kens and dcon

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The only version I've had was the final Dunhill-branded bulk version, pre-Peterson. I remembered it being sort of muddled and a bit sharp and just not to my liking. I actually found Lane Crown Achievement to be a better example of the full English+perique blend. Crown Achievement doesn't seem to get much love, but I thought it was pretty good. I also just opened a tin of GLP Blackpoint which has similar components, and is a bit on the sweeter side for an English. I haven't had Quiet Nights in a long time. When I had it, I was going throgh my Lat-bomb phase, and found it a bit lighter on that front than I was hoping. I liked it, but didn't love it. I expect I'd like it a lot more now, and I'll have to grab a tin to re-visit.

I sure am glad Nightcap is back for those who love it, though.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I actually found Lane Crown Achievement to be a better example of the full English+perique blend. Crown Achievement doesn't seem to get much love, but I thought it was pretty good.
Intersting. I like the 3 Lane's I've smoked. I read some reviews, and based on these and your comment, I will add this one to my list for my initial foray into Periques.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't see much similarity between Nightcap and Quiet Nights but I certainly understand preferring Quiet Nights.

I agree. The only reason I included Quiet Nights in the comparison is because it's my understanding that GLP based it on Nightcap, or perhaps based on an older version of Nightcap using old school blending techniques, since that's basically what the GLP Old London series is.

Status
Not open for further replies.