PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The ripple grain of this one caught my eye, and the fact that it looks like it just needs a good cleaning to be ready to go. Here are a few 'before' shots.

I tried a quick Google search of the tinder box, but only a fairy tale came up. Can anyone shed some light on its origin or history? It is also stamped Made in France, making it my first French pipe.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
They consigned many different makers to make their house pipes. I have no idea how to date these but someone will know. Nice pipe and I’m looking forward to seeing the process.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Mike, Nice pipe.
Tinder Box stores are still around. There's one about 30 minutes from me that I visit often. Tom (mso) often posts that his first pipe was a Tinder Box pipe and I believe he still smokes it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As scloyd said, I still have my first pipe, a Tinder Box St. Ives. This is still in good shape and smokes well. It's a smooth bent pot with an interesting vertical saddle stem. I wrote Tinder Box to see where it might have been sourced in the late 1970's, and they thought probably Chacom. My local Tinder Box relocated within the mall after about 30 years, and since has closed and either moved or been supplanted by another Tinder Box in Durham, N.C., Southpoint Mall, or so I've heard. In my nearby mall they never permitted smoking because of mall policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.