PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well I am now paying off a truck and fifth wheel. If I hadn't cellared, I would be a traditionalist but not by choice. ha ha.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Oh believe me, I have a tobacco cellar also which may not be too traditional I suppose. I was quoting hugo's liturgical reference. Funny guy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have enough to smoke 12.8 pounds a year for the next 20 years.
Congratulations, Harris! You have earned your merit badge for hoarding, level 2.
I've got considerably less and know that it's an entirely insane amount when I open the closets and look at the bins and boxes of the stuff. I'm not waiting for the tobaccapocalypse. I'm staring at it.
And then there's the guys with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of the stuff who will never be around long enough to make a dent it it and are still buying more.
What is the link between pipe smoking and OCD? It must be molecular.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Not sure of the weight... I bought a lb of nightcap before it went stealth. I tend to buy too much, of everything.. The only thing I have spares of is nightcap, EMP, and Black Duck... I like to keep my options open... if I had to guess.. maybe 10 pounds

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
And then there's the guys with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of the stuff who will never be around long enough to make a dent it it and are still buying more.
Yeah, but what if I do live a long time? Then I'll be happy I hoarded. If I don't, I won't care that I have 200 of unsmoked tobacco sitting in the basement. A number of my pipe smoking friends that are still alive will fondly remember me.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
AMEN Hoosier!!! although if you have a Christmas or Dark Star I would love an invite to the cellar revival!!!! Hahahahahaaha

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've got around 300 tins and probably 50 pounds of bulk stashed away. I am pretty much done buying tobacco with exception of getting 10-12 tins of St. Bernard Flake from Dan Tobacco and Stonehaven when I can find it.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well I have reviewed the cellar and this is it:
222 lbs 4.2 oz.
87% is over 2 years old, 56% is over 3 years and 30% over 4 years old.
39% is VA or VA/PER
1272 containers that includes bulk and tins and there are 476 separate blends of which I have only been through about a third of them. The adventure continues.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Somewhere in the 10-12#range, 90% McClelland. Plenty for me for a long while.

I honestly would probably have less than 2# on hand if McClelland hadn't gone belly up.
I usually like to just have a few tins open (currently 5-6) and smoke them through until I move on to something else, and I'm happy to try something new and pass it on to a friend if it turns out to not be for me.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
As a new Novice smoker I'm not sure what I should cellar yet. I have purchased 50 different tins to get a sample of what I like. I'm afraid from some of the post on here that my taste may change as my obsession grows. I guess since tobacco doesn't go bad it really doesn't matter.
I have a question. If I get some tobacco in pouches should I put that into Mason Jars instead of leaving it in the pouch?

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I’m amazed at the accuracy of some of these responses. I have never really taken stock of my pipes or tobacco. Don’t really know how much I have of either, but by all accounts from my family-“too much”. I’m now starting to really feel like an oddball.

Status
Not open for further replies.