PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My cellar as bulk lived in 36 cases of pints, so that's three stacks of 12. The tins lived in 6 large boxes under a table, so neither impacted space..

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
My cellar is technically completed. If the FDA shuts it all down tomorrow, I have achieved my goal. The rest is now just dabbling in new blends and enjoying the aged stuff already set aside.
Cellar: 147 pounds as of today.

Open/Rotation: 9 pounds as of today (lots of old stuff not in my active rotation, the one-offs, by next year I will have those smoked down and my active rotation should be very simplified).

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Doing math like this is actually important for those trying to build a cellar for the long term (Hedging). I was very selective in what tobaccos to cellar in order to cost average the investment. For example, if you plan to cellar 100 pounds total, your next choice will be to cellar high-end ($$) vs bulk ($). Every penny counts when you start to add up pounds vs only a few tins. It's a very considerable investment.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I hate to admit I think I grew my cellar too quick. I have over 20 lbs in about a years time. Most of it I got on sale and fortunately most of it is Virginia and VaPers which I love, and very little English blends. At my rate, easily this is 10+ years of tobacco. My goal is to play it slow for the next year and find out which of these blends sing to me, then start to stock up.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’m in at about 40lbs as of now. I’m pretty set, other than picking up the occasional unobtainium from time to time, and swapping out my aged rotation blends for freshly cellared ones to begin aging.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm going to start cellaring again on tobaccocellar.com, the chief advantage of which is that nobody cares whether I actually have the goods, and nobody is checking. I'm not going to buy anything bit oh!, am I going to say I did.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I was honestly a little surprised when I did a recent estimate of my cellar and found I had over 100 pounds. With recent orders combined with tins I picked up here and there that I know were left out of my count I estimate I'm probably nearing 150 pounds honestly. It takes up less space than you'd think. It should last me at least 30 years. Since I'm hoping to live to a ripe old age I do need to cellar some more but I'll be looking mainly for sales and bulks I like in order to keep costs down.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I now have no clue.
I've had "cellar inventory" on the chore list for a month now, but have not set aside the time for it.
Additionally, I have to remember every place I put some... :oops:
I am finally beginning to relax about my reserves. Even without a tally, I know it will take a while to run dry.
I may starve and dehydrate, but I'll have ammo and tobacco.... :crazy: :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I don't cellar. 1. About half of what I smoke is aromatic, so it wouldn't benefit. 2. I haven't fallen for one blend (or even several) that I love so much I want a 5-year supply of it. 3. I want my tobo buying habits to sustain an industry and reward blenders for staying in and making new stuff, so no chasing the last of anything for me.
Also I can't afford it and don't have a place for a hundred tins. :oops:

Sep 18, 2015
I’m not sure, somewhere between 40-60 lbs I’m gonna guess. I can total up 40 just at a glance but then there’s a fair amount of miscellaneous jars & tins I’d have to count plus my tobacco hutch that’s my open smoking stash.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Y’a know , long ago a root cellar was exactly that , a small cache of overwinter root veg , pickled meat and provisions . It was before refrigeration and a good stoned walled cellar is dry and will not freeze .
Root_Cellar_at_Bay_Roberts_Newfoundland.JPG

Just putting it out there for the SHTF guys , past is prologue

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Sealed tins and jars cellared...4-5 pounds

Rotation tobacco that I smoke...1-2 pounds

Total...........................5-7 pounds

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't cellar. 1. About half of what I smoke is aromatic, so it wouldn't benefit
But they don't change much either. All of the jars and tins in my cellar are for immediate use if I choose aging will just be a perk. I'm hoarding so that I'll have tobacco when I can no longer afford it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
But they don't change much either. All of the jars and tins in my cellar are for immediate use if I choose aging will just be a perk. I'm hoarding so that I'll have tobacco when I can no longer afford it.
Yup. I am in the 150-200lb range. I now can no longer afford to buy, but this will last me several lifetimes, unless my habits change.
I have a little of everything and a lot of some things.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Yes, I did make some money in my sales though I kept:
3 pipes

8 oz Cumberland

HH 10 to Midnight

Dark Flake ~75g.

1 tin Escudo
I didn't have regrets liquidating my cellar as my body made it clear last April that I couldn't go on ignoring symptoms, raw throat, coughing, sneezing and non-cardiac related chest pain. They were getting worse and would continue to worsen. My solution had been that if coughing interrupted smoking, wait a few minutes until it subsided and continue on, and outside of smoking ignore all symptoms. Nothing was going to keep me from smoking. But I'm glad I listened as by this time the symptoms would be, I suppose, substantially worse.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I didn't have regrets liquidating my cellar as my body made it clear last April that I couldn't go on ignoring symptoms, raw throat, coughing, sneezing and non-cardiac related chest pain. They were getting worse and would continue to worsen. My solution had been that if coughing interrupted smoking, wait a few minutes until it subsided and continue on, and outside of smoking ignore all symptoms. Nothing was going to keep me from smoking. But I'm glad I listened as by this time the symptoms would be, I suppose, substantially worse.
Seems a very wise move.

Status
Not open for further replies.