PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hey guys I’m in need of some advice.

I absolutely love my savinelli pipes, in fact 75% of my collection are sav’s. However I am interested in stepping out of the box and away from the classic shapes and attaining my first artisan pipe.

Would love some recommendations so I can begin my research.

Thanks

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
An "artisan pipe" is more often a traditional or "classic" shape than other. And many other shapes are made in factories or large shops. So, need to hear more what you have in mind.
Ryan Alden and Scotty Piersal make excellent pipes, and can - and probably would- make a pipe to order that's far from classical.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I apologize

What I meant was a pipe that is not mass produced in a warehouse. Like a Peterson or savinelli

I thought that is what artisan meant

My mistake. Still learning

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
An "artisan pipe" is more often a traditional or "classic" shape than other.
That's a shame.
@aro222
Have you looked at Preben Holm or the Danish era Ben Wade pipes. These came from now retired Bruce Weaver, but his pieces are still out there as well.
20180620_235224.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Aro, the way to be successful here is to figure out what kind of pipe you want, figure out who makes that kind of thing, and then talk to a few carvers about it. Establish a price point for yourself (which will eliminate carvers in tiers above AND below the price point) and find someone whose work resonates with you.
Most carvers charging in around 300 dollars for "ordinary" pipes are making very, very good quality stuff. Above that you are paying for really fine work, certain tailored perfections, certain finishes etc. Below that you are talking to someone who may or may not have their act totally together in terms of making pipes. Not to say you can't get a good 200 dollar pipe from an artisan, but you'll see a fairly large shift in quality as you head toward 300 USD amongst american carvers, anyhow.
When people kick tires on my work at this point, I usually ask them what they want, what they like, I get them to send me pictures of pipes they like and if it's stuff I don't want to or can't make, I generally direct them to people who do that kind of thing. Matching up the pipe with the carver will get you your best results here.
The hope is that you get a pipe so great that you want to throw away everything else you've ever smoked. It may or may not go down that way, but if you get a really well made pipe, it will be objectively better than a Savinelli in just about every way - comfort, briar, smoking.. all of it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I apologize

What I meant was a pipe that is not mass produced in a warehouse. Like a Peterson or savinelli

I thought that is what artisan meant

My mistake. Still learning
Not a problem; no apology needed at all. Most of us are still learning something or other!
I meant to convey only that artisan was not equivalent to non-classic shapes; and that Danish or other freeform styles are also made in warehouses, etc.
But I am biased, in that all my artisan pipes are classic shapes, except for one Danish I got long ago.
Re-read what Sasquatch writes above!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Aro, the way to be successful here is to figure out what kind of pipe you want, figure out who makes that kind of thing, and then talk to a few carvers about it. Establish a price point for yourself (which will eliminate carvers in tiers above AND below the price point) and find someone whose work resonates with you.
Yep. Artisans tend to have specialties, and knowing what shapes interest you will go a long way. Once you get shape and artisan lined out, the process is very enjoyable.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Ok first off let me say thank you guys for the reply’s

You’ve given me lots to think about

Secondly embers those pipes are gorgeous I especially like the 3rd one from the left

I think I have somewhat of an idea of what I’m looking for

Hey Sasquatch, are you a carver ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, quite possibly!
It'd be instructive for all to see what you have in mind, and his take on it. If both of you are comfortable with such, lots of learning possible. It's been done before, IRRC.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a Zack Hamric as what I consider my one artisan pipe. There are hundreds of good to great American pipe carvers who are not factories. A Mark Tinsky is on my bucket list of pipes to eventually buy.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
How does she smoke ?
Very well. My Yenidje Highlander pipe.
I have a Zack Hamric as what I consider my one artisan pipe.
Zack makes some amazing pieces as well if you don't mind oosik accent pieces. Those poor seals. :rofl:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I'm interested in making you a pipe for sure Aro, but really, truly, only if there is a mesh between what I generally like to make, which is like, catalog shapes from 100 years ago mostly. I drift into slightly Italian tendencies sometimes, big fat curvy stuff. You can visit me as BSTpipes.com and have a look around.
Other people to check out and talk to - Ryan Alden, Scottie Piersel, Clark Layton, Nate King, Michael Addis, Ernie Markle, Manny Atilano, and probably about 20 others.
If you send me into the shop and just say "Make a pipe." I'll make this kind of thing 9 times in 10.
yFE57nc.jpg

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Thanks for being honest Sasquatch I appreciate the reply

I did have something else in mind for now

Thanks for taking the time to try and help

I’ll keep hunting for something that grabs me

Cheers brother

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If you want something more interesting, talk to Abe Herbaugh or Mycah Cryder, both make absolutely stunning pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.