PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Much of this "opening up" hoopla, according to a friend whose information I trust, was started by a guy named Jim Benjamin back in the 90's. "A pipe repairer by trade, he convinced people that the draw on pipes was too narrow. He would drill them out and people were convinced that he had done something miraculous. It grew from there.". I think the attention paid to the drilling and finishing (smoothing) of the airway, in both the shank and stem more beneficial than enlarging them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think the main factor was proselytizing by Rick Newcombe.
+1
Jim Benjamin was at the top of the mountain, in his day, the go to guy for pipe repair, so I imagine, if he was the source for this idea, Newcombe would have been the reason it took hold. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Newcombe take credit himself for the wider airway? It's been a while since I read In Search Of Pipe Dreams.
Like I said, I like the traditional draw of my old Britwood and to me they're not tight, but perfectly fine and open. The wider airways are merely different to me, an option, one that I adjust for and enjoy as well.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sounds like half placebo effect, half Stockholm Syndrome. I'm with Philo; wide open is where it's at.

Status
Not open for further replies.