PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I was lucky enough to receive a sample this morning of each of these new (or, more aptly, reintroduced) blends from a very kind gentleman who shall remain nameless for the time being. I understand that these will be coming out later this fall.
bqqi2Hg.jpg

I am a horrific tobacco reviewer, but I will do my best over the next week or two to smoke each of the samples and provide my unsophisticated impressions, whatever those may be. I plan to use adjectives such as "grassy" and "nutty" even if they have nothing to do with these blends because . . . well . . . I want to sound cool like my tobacco heroes: Jiminks and Pipestud.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Peck, that photo is in Vegas.....
Or he used a green screen to throw us off track ;)
I plan to use adjectives such as "grassy" and "nutty" even if they have nothing to do with these blends because . . . well . . . I want to sound cool like my tobacco heroes: Jiminks and Pipestud.
LOLOLOL good one!
Honestly though, what's the point? As soon as the FDA regs kick in the only way we'll be able to get those blends is smuggle them across the border, or get someone else to. And who's going to run that risk for a lousy tin of pipe tobacco? Plus I shudder to think what they'll cost in those other countries.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Yea Peck I posted that they were coming out during the IPCPR show and everybody said I was full of shit and that

we would never see it. Thanks for the back up.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
A few of these tins were sold by P&C to get in under the deadline. I am thinking you should see them as Peck said in the Fall.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
Link so one can read the descriptions - http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/sneak-peek/?v=5000&s=Product+Name_Asc&t=Pipe+Tobacco&f_Brand=Dunhill

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Peck: you left out "and a touch of earth". :rofl:
Funny thing. Just retired to the porch a while ago with a pipe and some GLP Embarcadero and decided to look it up on TR, and lo and behold (with all due respect, Jim I value your reviews) JimInks not only whipped out the 'earthy' but almost every other cliche adjective for a tobacco review.I'm not lying.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
They all sound very interesting! I'm not sure if that is good because it just means I'll probably have to cellar 3 more blends :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
jmill: there's only so many adjectives one can use to describe the flavors of tobaccos. They taste like what they taste like, and the inherent aspects of each are generally few in number, so there's no way to avoid repetition. Cliches are often repeated truths, and we just have to live with that.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
jmill: there's only so many adjectives one can use to describe the flavors of tobaccos
But Jim hit it right on when he identified the Yenidje "unflavored soda" flavor. I thought that was pure genius. Anyone can identify plum and spice from Perique or smokiness from Latakia. It's when things get beyond that point that makes me really enjoy Jim's reviews, which I usually read while I'm smoking that blend, seeing if I can identify all those flavors.

Dec 24, 2012
First up is Ye Olde Signe.
This is a straight virginia blend displayed in a shag cut. I smoked my first bowl in my Sasquatch billiard.
I smoke a fair number of straight Virginia blends, and I am often quite surprised at the different interplay of flavors that emanate from blends that are ostensibly made from precisely the same leaf. Many I like, but some I find a tad monochromatic. I am sure the differences between straight Virginia blends are the result of many factors, including how the leaf is processed and the type of cut, among others. Notably, I tend to prefer the taste of flakes markedly greater than blends with a shag or ribbon cut. As George Orwell famously wrote: ““All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” The question for me, then, is whether Ye Olde Signe is more equal than the many other virginia animals.
It is at this point in the review that I wish I could descend into an orgy of adjectives to describe this blend, because that would be ever so cool and impressive for a newby tobacco reviewer like me.
I wish I could say, for example, that Ye Olde Signe is a gorgeous blend that coats the palate with the beguilingly lush and subtle taste of raisin and captivating plum sauce notes, with anise and lapsang souchong tea dancing expressively in the background.
I wish I could say that the smoke presents a striking amalgam of green tea and almond scent that, on first light, rises penetratingly and seductively from the bowl, while hauntingly beautiful, yet subtly different, notes then reconvene at the bottom third of the chamber for a symphonic performance for the palate that is at once creamy (nay, almost buttery) in texture, making the mouth electric in its bright, mouthwatering citricity.
If I said that, some of it would be true, but most of it would not.
In truth, my first bowl of this blend does not, admittedly, leave my mouth agape and my salivary glands pumping. Don’t get me wrong, this is a good blend, but it doesn’t present anything to me that I haven’t tasted before (and, in some cases, to better effect) in numerous other blends. There is no oscillating complexity or vibrant layering of flavors here that would allow me to say that this is in any way a game changer in this genre.
No, this is just a basic, well done straight Virginia blend – nothing more, but certainly nothing less.
Or at least that is what one bowl tells me.
Three stars out of four for a good rendition of a straight Virginia blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.