PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I've noticed that it's not unusual for threads to remain in inappropriate categories. I've noticed this particularly in the General Pipe Smoking section, where we've seen entire threads devoted to a topic such as whether someone should get a dog or not, what are you drinking, and what kind of car do you drive. Don't threads like these belong in the General Discussion section, since they have nothing to do with pipe smoking?
Yet, at the same time, members are routinely chastised for not capitalizing Topic titles.
To me, I'd much rather put up with a variety of Topic styles than have to scroll through off-topic threads -- or visit them to see what, if any, actual pipe-smoking discussion is happening. It seems the preference is on the appearance of a thread rather than the content involved.
That said, I realize this is a very busy forum and it can't be easy to keep up with everything going on. But I think some members are simply in the habit of posting all of their new topics on the main General Pipe Smoking forum, whether they actually have anything to do with pipe smoking or not.
Just my .02.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
So if you see a thread you feel is in the wrong section, notify one of the mods, and they can move it. It's really simple.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So if you see a thread you feel is in the wrong section, notify one of the mods, and they can move it. It's really simple.
Thanks, Jud! This is exactly what I was going to put!
Let us know and we'll be happy to move it. We try and catch as many as we can, but sometimes they slip past us.
-Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I, for one, don't mind seeing the various topics on one page. It saves me from skipping all over the place. If I see a topic of interest I read it; the others I just ignore.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If I was the sheriff there wouldn't be any threads unrelated to pipe tobacco smoking.

BTW, I still have several gross of these for sale, if anyone's interested....

Plate.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I believe the original threads, regardless of topic placement, all show up on the home page first anyway, and then "fall off the home page" eventually into the topic they belong (assuming the thread is actually in the topic it belongs) or am I mistaken?

They do all show up on the homepage once posted, but are also always in their section. If you click on pipe talk, the pipe talk threads will be there regardless of being on the homepage.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I know that forum home page lists like the 70 most recent posts. I wish there was an option to see ALL of the posts from all of the sections on one page that will let me scroll back as far as I want to go. :)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
After the first few responses usually the OP question has little to do with the responses.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I guess I need to apologize then because I am guilty of this. Not out of laziness but because on my browser, I just click New Thread. It doesnt really ask me what forum to put it in. Sorry about that.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I get you, but my posts are deleted while the other off topic threads remain LOL

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Happyjacks:
Did it really sound like this upset me? I just thought it was worth pointing out. You don't. That's why I said "Just my 02."
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.