PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Got any
I haven’t picked up a nice tray yet , but it’s on my list . So far I’m using sheet paper or work on my bamboo bench top so I can handle the few crumbs left over after I prepare the Smokey comestibles . But really I need a proper tray , right
Where is there a good tray to be had ..

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have lots of trays. My favorite is the one seen in most of my posts, the Pipe Caddy made specifically for pipe tobacco (but no longer in production or available). I also LOVE the Neerup leather tobacco mat (I have 3 of them) and for the $12, they are a great value! Paper plates and coffee filters also work great. The rubber mat on the left is from the Container store, I use that as a general spill mat and also to dry tobacco. The rubber is good because you can sterilize it after use.
Trays are certainly better for general use because you can put your pipe, lighter, tamper, pipe cleaner all on one tray and boom, you are set.
KRttBwM.jpg

Neerup Tobacco Mat https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=274525

001-069-0492.jpg

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Those look like great options , I never thought of leather , my dad had some leftover cowhide and horse too I think from his leather working hobby , maybe I can cut a piece .

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I also use these black trays from the Dollar Store for drying my pipes after smoking.

QzXSqyI.jpg

This is a leather roll up mat that is meant to be for shoe polishing, but I use it to set pipes on so they don't get scratched.

7H3fSMV.jpg

And this glass plate was also from the Dollar Store. It was my first tray for rubbing out flakes. Still gets used.

o2dugD8.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@weedsnager, great call on the Dollar Store metal trays. I forgot about those. I have one also and I use it in my travel pipe bag. I also like these trays because you can put a magnetic Claudio Albieri leather pipe holder on them for a pipe rest.
YGs7CIu.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and bought a small, maybe 6”x10” plastic cutting board that I use for chopping up or rubbing out tobacco.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I also use a plastic cutting board for cutting plugs and Sorringowl leather mats for rubbing out, packing, they roll up so it's easy to return leftovers to the tin or jar.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Npod's wood pipe caddy is awesome. I have a bunch of nice old-growth redwood slabs in my shop and would consider making a few if some folks here might be interested in purchasing them. Maybe I'll start by making a prototype for myself and posting up pictures to gauge interest.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I would go with the Neerup. I like the leather for folding and dumping the leftover tobacco back into the jar.
I bought an Agape. It is smaller and I paid WAY too much for it. I love it but I could have bought 5 Neerup's.

Jan 8, 2013
After being extremely pleased with my leather pipe roll, I'm planning on ordering one of these from Northwest Gentlemen.
il_fullxfull.1528473001_iws8.jpg

And the corners can be unsnapped to lay flat or roll up.
il_fullxfull.1480995122_msf0.jpg

Edit to add:
Npod's wood pipe caddy is awesome. I have a bunch of nice old-growth redwood slabs in my shop and would consider making a few if some folks here might be interested in purchasing them. Maybe I'll start by making a prototype for myself and posting up pictures to gauge interest.
I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Reactions: Osirus

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Maybe I'll start by making a prototype for myself and posting up pictures to gauge interest.

PLEASE DO! Someone needs to market these. I guarantee they would sell.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
But really I need a proper tray , right

Not really. I just fill my pipes from a jar, tin or pouch. I've got a couple of leather mats and little wood tray a guy turned. Most of the time they get used as a coaster. I also have two Dunhill presentation rolls that they used for the white glove sales presentation. I think they can be seen somewhere in the show me your Dunhill thread. 8O

img_2011.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Damnit Dave! That Castello leather tray is fantastic. Now I have tray acquisition disorder.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And I thought there wasn't a single accessory I still needed, silly me. How have I lived without a tray? I'm always wrangling tidbits of tobacco off my lap into the waste basket, or off my desk into my hand. I keep enthusiastically telling people they'll learn a lot on Forums. See what I mean?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I use a pie pan at home and a paper plate at the office. It ain't just a thin, flimsy thing either. This things got some back to it. Works great. Just sprinkle out a little tobacco on it, let her dry and fill my pipe. For when my sprinkling is a a little, I usually fill my MM Tom Sawyer with the rest, then use a piece of paper I've folded up to make a funnel.
I've thought about the tray idea a few times, but I think the pie pan and paper plate do a good job. Maybe the leather sheets would be nice, something I could roll up and store when not smoking.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I use a 10” terra cotta saucer like what you place under a houseplant. It’s very absorbent and is great for drying tobacco and then gathering it up against the edge for packing.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I like the snap corner leather tray like the one Anthony showed above. I have one similar. That one looks really nice. I may have to look into NW Gentlemen as well. Thanks for sharing.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
Thanks... I have now discovered Northwest Gentleman lol. I didn't know I needed the several things they have that I need :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.