PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I have access to a CNC router and could put that pipe caddy tray back into production in a weekend. Who made them originally and how much did they sell for? I wouldn't want to just knock it off without getting permission from the designer.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used my finger to tamp for the last years. Didn't have to keep up with it, find it and use it. I saw trays but never got one as a book was just as good and they seemed more encumbrance than help, more an embellishment of pipe culture than a mainstay.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I found a small round metal plate that i use. It was free and it works fine for drying tobacco and carry my pipe.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have a locally-made wooden tray of about 12 inches in length and maybe 8 or 9 inches in width. It holds matches, an ash tray, a Czech tool, a leather band style pipe rest, and a coaster for a drink. I store it in a drawer in an end table next to my couch.
It's nice to be able to get the tray out and have everything I need at hand, and to pick up the tray and put it away all at once for super-easy cleanup.
they seemed more encumbrance than help, more an embellishment of pipe culture than a mainstay.
Quite the opposite for me. I find my tray imminently practical. I started looking for a pipe tray for the purpose of solving the problem of ever-present mess of pipes, tobacco, matches, pipe tools, and other such items on my coffee table. Now, it's confined to the tray, which I can easily pick up and move to its drawer for storage until the next smoke.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Paper or a tin lid works fine...but I like a mat of leather of late. Have one that has 4 corners that latch together to keep the tobacco from spilling out too much. Works nice and looks great!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It's nice to be able to get the tray out and have everything I need at hand, and to pick up the tray and put it away all at once for super-easy cleanup.

Bingo! That is the main use of a tray. Many of the posts above talk about drying tobacco, but that is secondary use.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
And here I was, thinking, "I've solved this problem long ago with a 8x10 sheet of paper."

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I guess papers an ashtrays can both serve the same purpose (despite other utilities), but I like the appeal and beauty of ashtrays. If they're not expensive of course. :lol:
Planning on buying a big one (for little money)! Only have a cigarette ashtray for now (which holds my pipe well).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not wanting to accumulate too much "stuff," I like the sheet of paper approach, or as an alternative, a drawing/lap board that can be cleared by hand or with a ruler or piece of cardboard. Right now, I use a bowl that is big enough for a tin of tobacco, that I work over to catch the dropped leaf. An old game board that folds in the middle might do, a checker board or Candyland for that matter. I like avoiding extra purchases, not for the expense but for the clutter. Then there's the good old food tray with edges to catch the leaf. If you use something re-purposed, it might be good to make a label, "Pipe Tray" or something, so it wouldn't get sent off to Goodwill by a family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.