Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
imagejpg2-1.jpg
[/url][/img]

I recently picked up a Stanwell Royal Sand and and also have a feather weight bent pick axe. Both are fantastic smokers and seem to be really wel built. So, I got curious, what's the general consensus of Stanwell as a whole?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have a few and LOVE them all. Built well and have great draw. I have heard some say something about the newer ones vs the older, but I cant tell that big of a difference. Even the cheap $50 ones are great. And a huge plus for me is most don't have vulcanite stems.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think the new, Italian-made Stanwells are very good. The original, Scandi-made and hand-made Stanwells are as good as it gets. I good, clean estate Stanwell is a prize. And they are priced very well from the trusted estate vendors.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife has 3 Stanwells, one of which she has been smoking for about 25 years, so it's safe to say she loves them. I have 2 Stanwells and like smoking them as much as anything else. Very well made, and great smoking pipes. All of ours are the older Danish made pipes, so I can't comment on the newer ones, but from what I've heard they are fine pipes too.
I just realized, we're both smoking Stanwells in our avatar!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Got my first Stanwell in 1969 and have bought a few more over the years. I like the styling, the quality and the smoke. That about says it all.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I own three. I really like them. Prefer the older ones with rubber stems, but my Italian one is well worth the price.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I don't have one, yet, but a Danish made is on my list. The genealogy of pipes is fascinating. Danish makers using an English sounding name to stimulate sales. French makers moving to London. Makers from all over the Mediterranean, Africa, Japan, the US, Turkey, it's just amazingly diverse and there is quality to be had all around.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have an older Danish one that smokes wonderful. I had a new Italian one, but I just couldn't get into it so I sold it. I think it was more an individual pipe issue then the Italian make as a whole. I like some of the older shapes on the Danish produced pipes, but I'd try another newer one without much hesitation.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have a Stanwell Royal smooth not to far off from that one. I love it light in the mouth and the grain on mine is just crazy good. I've got my eye on another one here in the future.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I have 3 Stanwells that are all labeled made in Denmark. All smoke well and in my opinion are built well. I have heard comments about the poor staining on the Italian made pipes but one of my Denmark pipes has a reddish stain and whenever I wipe it, the cloth has red stain on it.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
In my opinion, Stanwell is amazing. They have been producing pipes for a very long time. I have a couple that I really enjoy. I have a freehand that is from the 50's that is one of the most beautiful pipes I own. Nice choice and you can't go wrong.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
I tell myself to buy Stanwell pipes, it has to be made in Denmark, just my personal preference. It's not that I don't like Italian pipes - for Italian pipes I can as well buy Savinelli.

Hope their production will not eventually move to Eastern Europe or Russia - that do have good craftsmen though.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I think sometimes Savinelli's and Stanwells and Petersons as sort of get looked at like the "Entry/Lower entry" level pipes. But I can tell all of mine never have loose stems, they will all pass a cleaner they are bored right. To me these are the pipes that I spend $100-150.00 on and I don't worry about them. I have 5-6 Savinelli's 3-4 Stanwells and just got my first Peterson and all of them have been and are great smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All my Stawell's are Italian made, and I was reluctant to buy the first one, a straight bulldog shape 32. Later,

after that one worked out very well, I bought two more, a brushed brown pot in the original shape 86 by

Sixten Iversson, and a Canadian in brushed black. Both excellent, for $49.95 each from P&C.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I have collected Stanwells for years, and have a dozen in my current rotation. I enjoy the older Danish made pipes, and recently acquired 3 NOS Hand Made pipes that smoke wonderfully. I have held and examined a handful of the new Italian Stannys, and to me they do not have the same feel or finish. But that is just me, and I am glad to see that others find them acceptable.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I lucked into a Danish-made Stanwell Zebrano (bought it at my local B&M), and it's probably my best smoker at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.