PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
As part of my last TAD until at least the new year (if not longer), I decided to try McClelland Matured Virginia Navy Cavendish.
Any experiences?
EDIT: I corrected the title of the tobacco. Thanks troutface.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I think you may be confusing two different tobaccos. Navy Cavendish does not have a number designation. It's part of the same series but has the rum topping. So far I have not detected a big rum flavor, but I am still airing out the tin I bought a couple weeks ago, so two bowls is not a lot to give much of an impression.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It was one of the first VAs I ever tried (because it was on the shelf at the local). I remember not really getting it at first, but I remember it finally having a nice, medium VA taste with just a little bit of "tang" to it. I don't remember it being as vinegary as the other McClelland VAs, either. Maybe that's from the rum. Overall, it was definitely a pretty good, medium VA, but I didn't have the ability to appreciate it at the time. It's one I'd like to revisit at some point.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I should have mentioned that the No.22, 25 and 27 are all very nice and worth your time if you like VA's. Try to find tins with some age on them if at all possible.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Roger that, troutface. No. 22 has always been a star in my book -- it's well aged before it even meets the tin and has loads of sweetness and warm, clove-like flavors.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have a open tin of it right now. It's what I have been loading up when I have a day off with my morning coffee. It's good stuff.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have a 2 year old tin that I recently opened. I haven't made up my mind about it yet. It's very high quality tobacco for sure, but Va's have to grow on me. I'm pretty sure I'll end up really liking it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.