PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
So the Gods are laughing at me this past week. Got a pipe from Eric Paulson and a huge TAD order from P&C. Wanted to try a whole bunch of new tobaccos. I even went to Walgreens and bought up their supply of MM cobs to do my testing with. Doesn't it just figure that a couple days before the lot arrives, I get full blown strep throat. Either one of my students or my wife's day care kids must've sent the plague home. Perhaps it was that trickster Loki trying to flatten my joy. So, here I sit staring longingly with a cough drop in my mouth waiting for the 2ish weeks I have to fully recover.
Any of you ever have something that prevented you from smoking happen at the worst time? I think the forum is making it worse. I'm like poor Charlie Bucket here staring in the window of the candy shop as all the other kids get to stuff their faces with delicious goodness. /end drama

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Just got over that bug a month and a half ago.
Pisses me off, but I have a healthy supply of video games to distract me from a good pipe.
Drinking tea and playing video games all day long... I felt like a classy 12 year old. :puffy:

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Video games are for everybody! What games are you playing? I've was doing some Titanfall beta for a bit. Have my cup of tea sitting here as well! Although I still wish it was a glass of sweet tea and a pipe.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Today my P&C order came in with two new pipes and loads of tobacco, and I woke up with a few big sneezes and the sinus tickle that tells me I'm about to get sick. The trials of the Briar, the curse of good taste: having to delay gratification.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Hope you get well sooner than later, psyche. That is bad timing. Waiting for my TAD to come in. Hope I don't pick up something by being on this thread. That's the way Murphy seems to work :?

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Had a really bad cold around Christmas that cut off the puffin' then just when I got back to the pipes I caught another milder cold. Snow & colds - this winter sucks!!!!! :crying:
I'm back in the saddle now. Smoked up 2 bowls today! :puffy:

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I awoke with a hint of a sinus infection today. Definitely ruins the piping experience. I lose a lot of flavor from my tobacco when I can't breathe/smell properly. Hoping it passes quickly.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I had that really bad cold going around a couple weeks ago. I just persevered and smoked the whole time. Couldn't taste much, but had to get my nicotine.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I had started getting a cough last week and was diagnosed with bronchitis 2 days ago. My P&C IPSD order came in today...so it will have to wait.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Wait.. What? Walgreens sells cobs? Where do they normally keep them in the store? That would save me a few miles drive that I would normally have to take to the tobacco shop. Thanks.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I had that really bad cold going around a couple weeks ago. I just persevered and smoked the whole time. Couldn't taste much, but had to get my nicotine.
Same here. Can't go without my smoke. Can't taste jack, but I kind of find that thick smokey air helps my airways.

Jan 8, 2013
Strep is the worst. Ive gotten it twice in 3 years. Both times were miserable. Even cigarettes were a brutal experience. My condolences on your bad luck, and I hope it clears up fast.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Wait.. What? Walgreens sells cobs? Where do they normally keep them in the store? That would save me a few miles drive that I would normally have to take to the tobacco shop. Thanks.
They keep them behind the checkout with the tobacco products. They are usually on a lower shelf so you actually have to look. The Walgreens near me also carries a few Grabows as well.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My father had on his wall in his office a picture of Mark Twain lying on his death bed with a pipe in his hand. I have always loved that picture and when my mother passes I will take the picture and put it in my office. So even the great bard could smoke when life seemed to be wasting away...

Spencer

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't smoke when I'm sick, it's about the least appealing thing, it's also how I know I'm not addicted to smoking, as I'll see cigarette smokers persist through the worst cough and colds. That's how I know I'm seriously ill, is when I can't even smoke.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I don't smoke when I'm sick, it's about the least appealing thing, it's also how I know I'm not addicted to smoking, as I'll see cigarette smokers persist through the worst cough and colds. That's how I know I'm seriously ill, is when I can't even smoke.
I hear you brother. The first week I couldn't talk and my neck had swollen up. Smoking was the last thing on my mind. Now that I feel better, I'm looking at my latest acquisitions with drool coming out of my mouth. The thing is that I still have a bit of a cough and my voice hasn't fully recovered. To me that says hold off a bit longer before you start again. I don't need smoke gumming up the works while they try to settle back to normal.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Just getting over a head cold now. The kind with the mucous and the sinus pressure and slight cough. It sucks. Don't want to smoke my first tin of frog morton (yes, ever) until it clears up. I have a big wish list and just got a $4/hr pay raise so things will be nice after this clears up :)

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Nice pay raise, Youngster. Let's see now, that's equal to roughly 3 or 4 tins of FM Cellar per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.