PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
OK, so Thompson Cigar's website is much more heavily weighted toward cigar smokers than pipe smokers - after all, it is called Thompson Cigar.
But what makes the site particularly frustrating for a pipe smoker is their five-tin limit on many (most) of their premium pipe tobaccos. I'd love to try any/all of the tobaccos below, but I ask you, how many readers would be willing to buy five tins of untested pipe tobaccos??
I've contacted their customer service several times about the restrictive five-tin limits, and they tell me that my comments get forwarded to their marketing department, but then it disappears into a corporate ignore-him-and-he'll-go-away black hole. I guess my best bet is to look for these smokes when I place orders from other shops.
VILLIGER PIPE TOBACCO 1888 MID-DAY 5 TINS

SAVINELLI CAVENDISH PIPE TOBACCO TINS

SAVINELLI SPECIAL TOBACCO BLEND TINS

VILLIGER PIPE TOBACCO 1888 LATE NIGHT

SAVINELLI AROMA PIPE TOBACCO TINS

SAVINELLI BLACK CAVENDISH BLEND PIPE TOBACCO TINS

SAVINELLI ENGLISH MIXTURE PIPE TOBACCO TINS

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It looks like our sponsors here at PM.com have much better policies.

SmokingPipes.com has all the brands you listed. Plus, orders over $95 receive free UPS Ground shipping and insurance to the 48 states.

PipesAndCigars.com also sell these blends, but are out of stock on a few. They have a similar shipping perk.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I agree with Cortezattic.

You should try our sponsors they are all about customer service.

Frequently there are posts from our Members praising them for their service.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I'll add my two pennies to this thread. I do all my business with the sponsors and have received nothing but the finest service.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have ordered from just about everybody who advertises here, and have never had an issue, no matter how small or how large an order I have placed. All these guys are great!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
+1 on what the others have said, I use both P&C and smokingpipes. I usually make the same cart load at both sites and whatever is cheaper I order from them, I have to say it is a pretty even total at this point, they both have competitive prices.

Jul 15, 2011
I used to talk with the guys over on puff.com on a few occasions, and the popular opinion over there is that Thompson Cigar is a less than stellar business, even for the cigar smoker, so I definitely wouldn't try for anything pipe related over there if everyone says they can't even get the cigars right.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Another case of a cigar-centric company not understanding the pipe market. You'd think that all of the nut cutting among the cigar etailers that they can realize better margins and a more loyal followinf among the pipers. But, alas, they won't.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
JR Cigar does understand pipe smokers. They don't carry as much as some other places, but their prices on MacBaren cannot be beat. Definitely worth checking out.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
The only reason to use Thompson Cigar is if you have an urgent desire to get 5,000 pieces of junk mail per day because of their selling your address to a junk mail vendor. AVOID

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have ordered cigars from them and when I opened the box they were very dry and they didn't even put one of those humidifying packs in. Plus, as everyone else is saying, I received a bunch of junk mail.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Actually Thompson Cigar is a side line for them. The core business is Linen's. JR Cigar has the best prices I've found on cigars. Never checked their pipe tobaccos for price. I find pipesandcigars.com hard to beat.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
I have had some annoying experiences with Thompson Cigar. Plus their cigars (the Thompson ones)are awful. Sponsors on this site are fantastic. Recommend.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Thompson Cigar is clueless, folks. I sent them a copy of the initial post here, and here's their reply:
"We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please note we will be more than happy to accept the order in return if you are not satisfied by trying one of the tins."
Translation: That's our policy - take it or leave it.
OK, I'll leave it. As the other posters to this threat have pointed out, there are plenty of other companies out there who understand pipe smokers, and all the smokes in question are available at several of this site's sponsors. I have nothing to gain other than frustration by trying to order from Thompson Cigar. (To be honest, the main thing that attracts me to them is their sometimes free shipping on $25 orders.)
I have a really nice tobacco collection - over 110 varieties at last count, and I didn't get that by buying five tins each of my tinned smokes.
Thompson Cigar - still a big wet smoke.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I have to admit that their intransigence on this issue puzzles me, and they've never offered any explanation of the restrictive five-tin limit in their emails to me.
Trying to play devil's advocate for a minute, there's the argument that they can provide lower cost on bulk orders (and five tins of a tinned tobacco is a bulk order to most pipe smokers), but every other vendor gets around that by simply charging more for single-tin orders than multiple tin orders, so we can ignore the devil's advocate this time.
What's left - laziness, stubbornness, apathy??

maduroman

May 15, 2010
there is a reason i have not ordered from them in 25 years.... still get the catalouges though for some reason...

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
The only worthy product I ever received from Thompsons was a cigar humidor. It only took 2 months for delivery. Its now converted to a nice three tier case for pipes and cellaring pipe baccy. Not only are cigars high priced ladies, but I think the quality has taken a distinct dive. If you've ever called in an order to Thompsons, you have to listen for at least 4 minutes to a charming lady trying to sell you chocolates, snuggies, and cashews. History. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.