This may be a dumb Question, Pipe Insurance?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I am about to recieve a 105 year old Ben Wade Pipe. I am afraid I may not want to smoke it and was wondering since it is an Estate pipe should I consider getting it insured, and if so should I even consider smoking it?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
If you tried to insure the pipe by itself... You might spend a pretty penny.

As Pipeguy mentioned it should be covered by your homeowner's insurance.

A lot of people (myself included) have photographed everything in the house worth having replaced should they be stolen or "cinderized"... This definitely includes things like my pipes, my tobacco cellar, my homemade brews, and other such mundane things as electronics and jewelry, and this: (my oldest pipe) :D
zFluteca17702-1.jpg

zFluteca17701-1.jpg

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Most collectibles are not covered under homeowners' ins. It all depends on how much your collecttion is worth.

Take my collections for example. They would not be covered under any homeowners' ins. policy due to value. I am insured through a company who only insures collections and are reasonable. About $240/yr. for a million on my Native American artifacts and $75/yr for $60,000 on my firearms.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 with Jaysin. Read the fine print on your home owners or renters policy. Collectors items are often excluded if they go beyond reasonable value.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey guys, ours does cover musical instruments and it is listed with the insurance company.
Edit: Sorry didn't mean to highjack the thread.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Interesting. Mine didn't cover my grandfathers medals and the collection I started after inheriting them. It's not worth 1,000's of dollars, but it was enough to add it to my policy. I thinkit went up with $100 a year or so. I'm getting there with my pipe collection. Good reminder to give my insurance guy a call.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Point of fact; one does not have to ensure extra items under "Collectables". A simple trip or phone call to your insurance comp. and you can simply add extra coverage for contents under your current policy. Very cheap to do and it increases your contents coverage with no questions asked.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I'll set the record straight since I am President (and sole Owner) of an Independent Insurance Agency for 40 years. Your homeowners insurance will cover your "Personal Property" anywhere in the World for the "Perils" insured against which does not include "breakage" or "losing" the pipe. If you have "Replacement Cost" coverage on your Personal Property, it also does not cover items for "Replacement Value" if by their inherent nature they cannot be replaced. Therefore, I suggest that you ask your agent to Schedule this pipe on a Scheduled Personal Property Endorsement to your Homeowners policy against "All Risk" of Physical Damage (including Brekeage) as an item of Fine Arts. The rate may only be about 37 cents per hundred of value annual premium and may require a Bill of Sale or Appraisal depending on its value and the rules of your particular insurance company. The deductible at this rate is "0". Personally I have 14 "Custom made" pipes by a pipe Artisan. Each are worth about $350 each. I do not bother to schedule them on my policy. However, if I had a pipe worth a thousand or more, I would consider it. I Schedule my and my wife's jewelry items that are valued at $500 or more per item. Otherwise I don't bother with it. Keep in mind that if you nickel and dime your insurance company on small claims you will have a problem with your insurance perhaps demanding that you drop your Scheduled Property or be Non-Renewed. So, I do not recommend messing with this issue unless the pipe is a valuable piece of Fine Art and worth at least $500 or more. The best insurance is to handle it carefully as you would any item of of Fine Art and I doubt that theft would be much of a problem for pipes. Only insure what you cannot afford to self-insure.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
See my home owners insurance covered my firearms up to a certen point mostly common ones. When I got in to my Civil War Soringfeild trapdoor and Revoltion War era firearms Lugers and some other rare ones I had to have them authenticated and apprased by someone other then me even though I was a dealer at the time and have a seprate rider.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
As a mortgage underwriter, I read fine print for a living. My favorite response is THE BOLD PRINT GIVETH, and the fine print taketh away. (But the really fine print can sometimes make you some money.)
I doubt I need to insure my Mr Brog Scoot. While it is one of my favorites, I only spent $25 on it.
Winton

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
sorry if i am aiding and abetting a topic hijacker :
@ Lawrence
wow - that thing was around when paregoric was sold over the counter
since we have been regulated out of that option
how about ->
if you answer yes to the question :

can you play it ?
i have one request :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtevePD6R70
p s

i would motion that if you were so disposed to remove the jeopardy that you have placed yourself and i under that you move these offenses to another thread and then link to the video of you playing it there

Status
Not open for further replies.