PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
www.waywardirregular.com/the-gentleman%E2%80%99s-guide-to-smoking-a-tobacco-pipe-without-looking-like-a-hipster/

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Guide to smoking a tobacco pipe without looking like a hipster"
Obviously the individual pictured below did not read this article:
th

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I will never understand the hate people hold towards hipsters. If us pipe smokes put a quarter of the time into lobbying our government for better smoking rights as we spend complaining about hipsters, we would probably not be in the middle of this anti-smoking witch hunt that is happening.
Leave hipsters alone already.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
All in all, kind of a funny read. Nothing to be taken too seriously, though. This guy is obviously being an eye-poking iconoclast for added humor value; not everyone's sense of humor is the same. He's giving his sarcasm a good workout; even though I'm in the target group of some of his barbs, I still got a chuckle out of them. I'm not clamoring to burn hipsters at the stake, but you have to admit they do have a bit of a reputation that's likely to draw a bit of good-natured ribbing every now and then. I do appreciate the rich irony that this guy is every bit as condescending as hipsters are portrayed to be.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I will never understand the hate people hold towards hipsters. If us pipe smokes put a quarter of the time into lobbying our government for better smoking rights as we spend complaining about hipsters, we would probably not be in the middle of this anti-smoking witch hunt that is happening.
Government is intransigent, and it doesn't react when you make fun of it. So all in all, it's not very entertaining. Hipsters, on the other hand, squeal every time that you poke them, so they're a lot of fun to ridicule. BTW, hipsters are just the latest name that we attach to what has been a persistent class of citizenry throughout history. Mostly young, mostly urbanite, more concerned with form than function, moderately to insanely narcissistic, highly conformist, and WTF is up with the hair? They will never go away, but they are a consistent source of humor, so I'm happy to have them around.
And forget about lobbying government for change. That's like begging a virus not to infect you.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
And forget about lobbying government for change. That's like begging a virus not to infect you.
I couldn't have said it better. But if they give any quarter on its evil status how could they justify it as a vice and therefore tax it excessively. We might get a little relief while they focus on the pot trade. Even more money there!
You're right about the Hipsters and yes, it is amusing to poke little fun and watch the reaction. No malice intended.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Northernneil i got nothing against hipsters, i'm a very accepting person, unless you(specific person/group) irritate me.

that link was meant as a funny guide(as stated in the topic) and if you listened closely he also rips on the other groups like some older smokers(with leather tongues).

so please don't get offended that easily and like the guide as an overall and instead of focusing on the part of hipsters.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Hippies, Drugies, Slackers, Golden Spoon kids and Leachers; Good for them that they do not give a dam about anything. Still, very fun to poke at and get a good laugh! By the way, I am with the government and here to help! :lol:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Everybody's a target. This is especially true when you or they look different, dress different, speak a different language, smoke a pipe (Yes! I'm sure we are targets of others), drive a Dodge, Chevy, Ford or whatever; Dig ditches, manage a huge company, wear a hat, drive a tryke, get elected to office, lose an election, wear a speedo, go to city wearing a straw hat, are left handed, bald, drink beer, don't drink beer.
Hell, we all get in our digs and jibes and receive our far share. It's not a matter of hate it's more a matter of "different" and a lack of comprehension or acceptance, even discomfort which causes these natural reactions to "different."
I've been enough places over the world to know that such reactions are normal everywhere.
Here's a jibe: "Brendon, you gotta find that shift key man!" I say that because I'm uncomfortable reading poorly constructed missives. My problem not yours. How you present yourself is your choice. How I receive it is mine. Hence the universal need to comment on what confuses or eludes us.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Do not get me wrong gentlemen, absolutely no offense was taken on my part. I agree that hipsters are an easy target, and who doesn't like to take a good shot here and there.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Before I joined here I had no idea there was such a creature. Such is the world of a dumpy middle-aged man who is a gun-nut.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Before I joined here I had no idea there was such a creature. Such is the world of a dumpy middle-aged man who is a gun-nut. And a "double-poster" to boot.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Before I joined here I had no idea there was such a creature. Such is the world of a dumpy middle-aged man who is a gun-nut. And a "double-poster" to boot.
I know exactly what you mean.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I know exactly what you mean.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Nothing wrong with a good MM Cob to start with.

They not only make it more affordable to purchase several pipes, they aid the individual to decide what type of pipe they prefer, bent, semi-bent, full bent, straight etc. without spending an arm and a leg, which by the way you will need to buy more and more tobacco......
Happy Piping!

Status
Not open for further replies.