Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Holy hot damn! Just cracked my first tin of McC's St. James Woods, and three bowls into it I'm still just blown away.
Got some Blackwoods Flake in the same order, but that's going to have to wait, I think. McClelland VA's are something else, man.
On a related note, anyone know how long that sale on McC at P&C is running? I think I'm going to have to use up next month's baccy budget a month early... :mrgreen:
In summation: St. James Woods and I are now the best of friends.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I want to say it ended at midnight EDST on May 20th.
Well, at least I made out pretty well. Well enough that I almost feel like I was stealing. Two whole free tins of Frog Morton? Check. A handful of unknown (to me) McClelland blends PLUS stocking up on old favorites? Check.
It's probably been me buying all their Wilderness, too. :rofl:
I really am glad I found the St James Woods though. That stuff was a game changer for me. I think it was the black stoved VA component that really put it over the top. This stuff is candy!

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Roth: I can vouch for at least the Yenidje Supreme from the Grand Orientals line. I bought some of THAT because I fell in love with their Orient 996, and decided to buy blends showcasing the components of that one to see what it was that I actually was gravitating to. It turned out that it was all of it. Bright VA, red VA, Yenidje, and Syrian. I can't win lol. Or maybe I already have. With the 996.
Or, to broaden: with McClelland.
To paraphrase Bill Hicks, "I think I've found my brand."

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
So... 15% sale IS over. Still running, however, is the free Froggy! Needless to say, I DID spend next month's budget on yet more McC's. Including (thanks to roth) Dark Star. And a lot of FMC to sit on. Also, my first Blue Mountain tins, and British Woods. Goddamn, kids... I can't get enough of ye olde McClelland blends!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Moses have you checked out McCelland's Beacon by any chance? It is one of my favorite VaPers. It's like eating wine soaked brisket with a pepper crust.
I enjoy a few different blenders but lately McCelland's has really been nothing but home runs for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes Moses, McC's Va are my favs, they use a fermentation process that results in that vinegar smell which gives a big tangy flavour. St. James woods is a really strong perique Vaper, so you're probably a Vaper guy if you love it, as it has quite a bit of perique in it. With the blackwoods flake, pop the tin and let it sit for a few weeks, trust me on this, the first time I tried it, I wasn't at all impressed with it, so I read that if it's a fresh tin, (mine was 2012) pop it and let it sit for a few weeks and then try it. I did and the change was amazing. The Christmas cheer series is also top notch virginia's, it's a special series they release every christmas season, I suggest you grab a tin of that. I'm ordering a tin of dark star on my next order, can't wait to try that.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I have a 100g tin of St. James Woods sitting in my cellar calling to me now! Glad I picke it up when I did and can't wait to try it :)

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I got the majority of my order today, the rest should be here early next week. The good news is that I saved $166. The bad news is that I spent over $940.
20 Dark Star

10 St. James Woods

5 Virginia Woods

5 FM

5 FMOTT

5 FMOTB

5 FMATP
The B/O is

20 Blackwoods Flake

5 Virginia #24

5 Virginia #22
Hopefully that'll last me for a while. Unless they have another sale. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Moses, great to hear you found a blend you are in love with. The best thing about MCClellend blends is that they are readily available, I wish I could smoke more of them. You hardly ever see them out of stock. There are quite a few companies that should take lessons from these folks on how to keep their customers supplied and happy.
On another note, it is interesting to see how MC, Pease and C&D all American companies rarely have supply issues, unlike their European counterparts who always seem to have issues.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I have to ask - you have every FM blend except FMC - just curious why.
I've smoked one tin of it It's not bad, just not as much to my taste as the first four FM blends. I have 4 more tins that I'll let sit for a year or so and give it another try.
Dark Star is my favorite. I have around 150 tins and plan to double that in the next year.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Dark Star is my favorite. I have around 150 tins and plan to double that in the next year.
God speed.
4 noggins still has Christmas Cheer 2012, Cup o'joes does as well as 2011 still I believe.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
4 noggins Christmas Cheer is out of stock. Dag nabbit :)
I have my cart building up there and I wanted to try some of that

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McC's St. James Woods, Va./Per -- wrote that one down on my calendar for future reference.

Can't beat the right Va/Per blend. I'll check, but is this tinned only, or also bulk?

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
@Teufel & Jah:
Sctottish Woods and Beacon ND Beacon Extra all ordered. Thanks for the suggestions!

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
McC's St. James Woods, Va./Per -- wrote that one down on my calendar for future reference.

Can't beat the right Va/Per blend. I'll check, but is this tinned only, or also bulk?

Tins only. A couple of years ago I asked Mike McNiel to please, please, please start selling Black Label, Brown Label and FM in bulk for those of us who love them. His answer was "Never have, never will." Maybe at the KC Pipe Show I'll try pleading with Mary, she has a softer heart than Mike.
You might give McC 2015 bulk a try. It's not quite as complex as St. James Woods, but it's an excellent blend.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Picked up two 100 gm tins of St. James Woods on my last order, hands down my favorite as well. There's just something special about that blend. Also picked up a tin of Blakeney's Best Tawny Flake because I had never tried it, very nice blend and the tin I got was dated 2006. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.