PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Watched Legends of The Fall yesterday, getting ready to watch Dances With Wolves, and Quiggly Down Under might be next.

Any other suggestions?

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
The unforgiven, 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit, (John Wayne not the new one), Hang 'em High. There is a few to keep ya going.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Sacketts, The Undefeated, 100 Rifles, The Sons of Katie Elder, Eldorado, Hang Em High, The Texican, How The West Was Won, Geronimo, Chato's Land, The Alamo, etc. I could go on for days and days mate

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Wow. Thank you everyone. I think next I'll try finding True Grit. I say "try", because video stores are a rare commodity these days.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Lonestar state of mind.

Not a traditional western but captures the rule west pretty well with a wild ride story line.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I did a Marion Robert Morrison marathon yesterday.
Eldorado "I'm lookin' at a tin star with a drunk pinned on it."

Rio Bravo "I forgot the words, but ya better say I do. (I do.) Now yur Deputies."

Big Jake "I thought you were dead."

McLintock "Curly! Don't say it's a good morning, or I'll shoot ya."

and,

The War Wagon "Mine hit the ground first." "Mine was taller."

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
McClintock is one of my all time favorites. You might also like The Cowboys and Silverado.
Today was such a nice day that I was able to ride each of my horses. I might be a bit sore tomorrow because I spent more than 4 hours in the saddle!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Jeremiah Johnson (about as good as the genre gets, imo)
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (true classic and one of the all-time best, imo)
High Plains Drifter (probably Eastwood's best western, and one of his best movies period)
and of course the "Man with No Name" trilogy, but that goes w/o saying...mandatory viewing.
And +1 on the following (in no particular order):
Young Guns I and II (both very good...II even better than I, imo)
Unforgiven (of course...really in a class by itself)
True Grit (both old & new version)
Hang 'em High, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and all other Eastwood westerns
Open Range
Tombstone

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
So many good ones here! Love the genre! But Kurt Russell in Tombstone popped in my head 1st! Fairly accurate film according to the History Channel. The scene where he stand in the river shouting NO! over and over! Awesome and to think it was true. Wow.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Question: Does anyone know what actor played in a depiction of the Gunfight at the OK Corral... once in a motion picture, and once in a television series? :nana:
Hint: He was on both sides. He played an Earp in the movie, and one of the McLaury gang in the TV series.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Here are a few of my favorites - that haven't been mentioned yet:
The Wild Bunch
Ride the High Country
Lonely Are the Brave
The Professionals - Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster and Jack Palance starred in this one and it just doesn't get any better.
Bite the Bullet
and, finally, the greatest American Western ever made, John Ford's The Searchers. (It's as perfect as The Godfather - both I and II, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird & I might even add Saving Private Ryan.)

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
When I say it's western day around here everybody starts whining and crying. lol

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I read somewhere that a western novel is the male equivalent to the harolquin romance novel. Obviously, if the hero saves the girl, stops the bad guy, rounds up the strays, and fixes the fence, the girl will fall for him and cook his favorite meals. Women dream that if she loses weight, fixes her hair, says the right thing, the man will fall for her. Real life if much more challenging and rewarding.
I enjoy John Wayne and Louis L'amore. One of my favorite Star Trek episodes is A Fistful of Data, where Warf gets stuck in the holodeck in a western theme.
Winton

maduroman

May 15, 2010
skip dances with wolves.... costner is to impressed with his own cleverness in that one.
Hondo
Big Jake
Unforgiven
the original Stagecoach
Red River
and all the spaghetti westerns
shit, don't forget The Magnificent 7

Status
Not open for further replies.